Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP address assignments

RajkrishanS
Tutor

DHCP address assignments

How can I configure my Netgear router’s DHCP settings to prevent consecutive IP addressing for my devices? Looking for guidance on ensuring non-consecutive IP assignments to enhance network organization and security
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: DHCP address assignments

If you're that worried about it, reserve addresses for each device

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 8
RajkrishanS
Tutor

Well I wouldn’t change the subnet mask for this type of network and as for the other, I considered 192.168.0.1, like before but this one is fine… what I’m seeking is for my dhcp assignment of addresses to be dynamic for ipv4 addresses. Ipv6 is fine!
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The DHCP service and IP address assignment is Dynamic by default. You can input IP Address reservasion if you think this would be helpful. Subnet Mask should be left at default for general home use. 

Message 5 of 8
RajkrishanS
Tutor

I thought as much and it’s still default, however dhcp is assigning them in the order of the first available upwards the device numbers in order minus 2 static addresses… not sure what the benefits are in the entirety of a better spread of addresses, besides the obvious, but I think I read it’s better for network development/growth but idk
Message 6 of 8
RajkrishanS
Tutor

I’m well aware of static addresses… I use them for certain things but limit that… correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it best practice to use dynamically assigned addresses because since it is not functioning, that’s why I have this inquiry, lol… other words static address would not be a possible solution
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Static can be a possible solution. Static would be recommended for devices that don't need much router management, i.e. Printers, NAS, controllers etc. Give some IP address reservations a try first though. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7