Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Netgear make pon and FTTH modems?

Leroy_D
Tutor

Does Netgear make pon and FTTH modems?

I own a Netgear CM3700 10gb dosic 3,1 Coaxial modem.

I really love this thing, and it was 400$ at one point. I truly thought I'd never replace it in my entire life. I upgraded my home service to fiber and learned that uh...I can no longer use this modem. I don't know if a PON to Coax adapter exists (Probably not)

But now that I've been researching I can't find a single high end modem that work with my incoming fiber line. It's like no one sells these things. I go to NOKIA who provided my ISP with what's in my house and I can't even find that model for sale. As someone who often sets up networking interfaces and does subnetting and works on firewalls I was honestly caught off guard by this. Can someone tell me if netgear has anything around that can use FTTH?

I'd be really perturbed if this is a business line only product.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Does Netgear make pon and FTTH modems?

A couple things. 

1. there isn't a cm3700.

2. the C3700 isn't 10gb or docsis 3.1 so not sure what device you have

Netgear doesn't make an ont/fibre gateway. But most fibre ISP's provide you with either an ONT or a gateway device to connect your router to. You just need a router only device to use. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. there isn't a cm3700.

2. the C3700 isn't 10gb or docsis 3.1 so not sure what device you have

Netgear doesn't make an ont/fibre gateway. But most fibre ISP's provide you with either an ONT or a gateway device to connect your router to. You just need a router only device to use. 

Message 2 of 6
Leroy_D
Tutor

Thank you for the answer.

Yea, but as someone who's always owned his own equipment, and doesn't like anyone having any "remote access" to my network in any capacity I'm quite sad netgear doesn't make an ONT for the GPON specification. 

I own a C7800,

Any my only hope is that I can use my C7800 now as a DMZ as it has all the nice readyshare options.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The C7800 won't work as a router only device. 

It has a modem only mode and a modem/router mode. It needs that coax input. 

there might be a way to make it work as a sort of access point but not sure if it'll work on that device. 

You have to disable dhcp on the c7800 and give it a static ip address thats in the range of the primary gateway's IP range. 

Message 4 of 6
Leroy_D
Tutor

An Ethernet to COAX adapter exists, I wonder how that would fair?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

It wouldn't. Those are moca (ethernet over coax) adapters. the C7800 has zero moca ability. 

the coax is only useful for a signal from a ISP provider. Sorry. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7