Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Have Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 need Wi-Fi Smart Plugs please tell me what Smart Plugs to buy

Richard_357
Aspirant

Have Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 need Wi-Fi Smart Plugs please tell me what Smart Plugs to buy

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Have Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 need Wi-Fi Smart Plugs please tell me what Smart Plugs to buy

@Richard_357 wrote:

All of my TP-Link  Kasa smart plugs are either failing to respond or not behaving well with my Netgear Nighthawk CAX80. Based off of reviews, as of this date it appears that there are no simple solutions.  Therefore I will forego smart plugs at this time and wait for the peripheral vendors to catch up.  Smart Plugs are not at my top of the list concerns at this time.  Thank you for your help in this matter.

Since you already have the TP-Link plugs, maybe a few tweaks to your CAX80 configuration will improve their function.  I use TP-Link smart plugs with my R7800 very successfully with the Amazon Echo.

Some suggestions:  Disable Smart Connect and disable 20/40 coexistence.  Set unique SSID's for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.  Disable auto channel selection and manually set the channel, recommend channel 11 to start.  As an alternate go with channel 6.  Make sure the firmware on your plugs is up to date.  Keep the names you assign to the plugs simple and one word if possible.

I presume with your CAX80 you are not using either Dynamic QoS or traffic monitoring.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Have Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 need Wi-Fi Smart Plugs please tell me what Smart Plugs to buy

Base your smart plugs off their reviews. 

Most (if they're decent) should work fine with the router

Message 2 of 4
Richard_357
Aspirant

All of my TP-Link  Kasa smart plugs are either failing to respond or not behaving well with my Netgear Nighthawk CAX80. Based off of reviews, as of this date it appears that there are no simple solutions.  Therefore I will forego smart plugs at this time and wait for the peripheral vendors to catch up.  Smart Plugs are not at my top of the list concerns at this time.  Thank you for your help in this matter.

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@Richard_357 wrote:

Since you already have the TP-Link plugs, maybe a few tweaks to your CAX80 configuration will improve their function.  I use TP-Link smart plugs with my R7800 very successfully with the Amazon Echo.

Some suggestions:  Disable Smart Connect and disable 20/40 coexistence.  Set unique SSID's for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.  Disable auto channel selection and manually set the channel, recommend channel 11 to start.  As an alternate go with channel 6.  Make sure the firmware on your plugs is up to date.  Keep the names you assign to the plugs simple and one word if possible.

I presume with your CAX80 you are not using either Dynamic QoS or traffic monitoring.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7