Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent internet speed with Netgear CM500 Modem

leigh_
Aspirant

Intermittent internet speed with Netgear CM500 Modem

Hi all, I've been having major internet issues for the last month or so, using a Netgear CM500 modem with a TP-Link AX50 on a Cox plan (100 Mbps down / 3 Mbps up). During the day, everything's fine, with no connectivity or speed issues, but from around 6pm - midnight, the internet is unusable: the connection is intermittent and insanely slow (like 1-2 mbps DOWN / .07 mbps UP).

My ISP has sent a tech out twice now, but each time, they've found no line or signal issues, and my connection looked fine (at the time). The second guy replaced some old fittings/connections at the box, and said the problem was related to issues with the node in our area, but even with no local outages reported, the problems are obviously still there.

Looking for suggestions on what to do next. Did the ISP techs miss something, is my modem defective, or could my ISP be throttling my connection during peak/evening hours? Thanks.

Also, I've attached screenshots of my modem connection and event log.

brave_lfMRiGuRDa.pngbrave_nOwrct8sIV.png
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Intermittent internet speed with Netgear CM500 Modem

You're having line issues. it might not manifest until at night when there's more load on the cmts to causing channel switching. 

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

start with that. If it doesn't help, cox needs to check the line. 

Message 2 of 7
leigh_
Aspirant

I'm in an apartment, so I can't do much to inspect the line myself. The modem is directly connected to where the coax comes in with no splitters. The Cox techs already checked the line and said it was old but found no problems. Should I just lobby for them to check it again anyway or even replace the line? I'm assuming it's an external problem and not an internal wiring issue. Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@leigh_ wrote:
Hi all, I've been having major internet issues for the last month or so, using a Netgear CM500 modem with a TP-Link AX50 on a Cox plan (100 Mbps down / 3 Mbps up). During the day, everything's fine, with no connectivity or speed issues, but from around 6pm - midnight, the internet is unusable: the connection is intermittent and insanely slow (like 1-2 mbps DOWN / .07 mbps UP).

My ISP has sent a tech out twice now, but each time, they've found no line or signal issues, and my connection looked fine (at the time). The second guy replaced some old fittings/connections at the box, and said the problem was related to issues with the node in our area, but even with no local outages reported, the problems are obviously still there.

Looking for suggestions on what to do next. Did the ISP techs miss something, is my modem defective, or could my ISP be throttling my connection during peak/evening hours? Thanks.

Also, I've attached screenshots of my modem connection and event log.

brave_lfMRiGuRDa.pngbrave_nOwrct8sIV.png

What the line tech may not have clearly revealed is that the problems at the node are due to your ISP over-subscribing the number of customers connected to the node.  Too many users sharing the data connection during peak usage times.  The only way that gets resolved is if the ISP adds new infrastructure to provide additional nodes.

The line issues should be corrected, but do not hold out hope that their correction will resolve the congestion issues on your node.

Your CM500 is a DOCSIS 3.0 device.  I do not know if your ISP is in the process of converting your local system over to DOCSIS 3.1.  Your DOCSIS 3.0 modem should work fine for a 100/3 data plan. 

Message 4 of 7
leigh_
Aspirant

I see. So even if there *are* line issues and they get fixed, there's no guarantee that will improve my connection.

And when I contact Cox again about the line issues, should I just request that the tech check *both* their wiring and the house/apartment wiring? I want the third visit to be the last one... Thanks guys!

Message 5 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@leigh_ wrote:

I see. So even if there *are* line issues and they get fixed, there's no guarantee that will improve my connection.

And when I contact Cox again about the line issues, should I just request that the tech check *both* their wiring and the house/apartment wiring? I want the third visit to be the last one... Thanks guys!

Make sure you understand who the ISP is going to charge for the "house/apartment wiring" check.

Message 6 of 7
leigh_
Aspirant

Cox makes it clear that the customer pays for any issues found inside the house, and not due to their equipment or line issues.

So...maybe my best bet is to wait until the problem happens again, then call customer support and escalate it until I get a tier 2/3 rep who has a 360-view with all the data and tools to diagnose the problem, live. Otherwise, another tech will just waste my time and money.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7