Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for a modem and wifi router combo with specific features

mk04
Follower

Looking for a modem and wifi router combo with specific features

Hello, I'm stuck with Comcast as my ISP. I'm having intermittent connection issues and nothing Comcast does seems to reduce the frequency with which the connection goes in and out. Comcast has apparently replaced the line leading up to my home and has given me four or more new modems to try out over the past year and a half. They're basically saying there's nothing more they can do, that it's not them, and that their system is showing that the connection to my home is fine and that they don't see any historical slow downs in speed to my device.

Hard wired from the modem/wifi router comob, I do have a Netgear WAX 214 wireless access point with the same SSID as the main Comcast router, so my wireless devices switch between the two devices seamlessly.

Sometimes there really is an issue with the comcast modem/router and the light goes from white (good) to yellow (bad) and a reset sometimes fixes the problem. 

Other times, the light will be white on the comcast modem/router which should indicate the connection is active, but in reality my wirelessly connected devices have zero connectivity even when close to the router.

Since Verizon isn't available yet in my neighborhood, I'd like to try buying my own modem and wifi router combo to replace the one Comcast has given me. In a new router, I would like the following features:

• Ability to monitor the connection from Comcast around the clock:
    • Ideally, constant monitoring and record of what ping and upload/download speeds Comcast is sending to my device
    • Ability to share a report with Comcast if/when their service has been subpar
  • Ability to monitor the health of the wifi signal
    • As mentioned above, the current Comcast router's light will sometimes be white but there's zero connectivity on my devices. Is the signal from Comcast bad, or is there an issue with the wifi?
  • Automatic reset of the device and/or connection when the connection gets bad 
  • Alerts when the connection speed dips to unacceptably low levels.

What modem + wifi router combo should I buy without breaking the bank? 

Separate question, can I manage the Netgear WAX214 from the Nighthawk App?

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Looking for a modem and wifi router combo with specific features

If your seeing problems with the ISP modem and if it's not corrected, then you'll probably see same problem on a different modem or gateway combo unit. Modems only work as good as the signal on the line up to the modem. If there is is problems on the line then the ISP needs to resolve this first before checking into something different. 

Be ware about Comcast/XF ISP and current and ongoing infrastructure changes that maybe effecting services to you as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/ComCast-XFinity-Next-Generation-ISP-FAQ/td-p/...

Any and all questions regarding there services need to be directed to them. 

Once there services are working better, then you might get into something of your own. I recommend avoiding a combo unit and get separate modem and external wifi router system since cable ISPs are the only ones able to update FW on cable modems. The only gateway modems that users can update, which is the router portion of the gateway are the CAX30 and CAX80. All other C and CM series modems require the ISP to update the FW. 

No, NGs Insight app handles WAX series APs. 

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

which Xfinity gateway do you have?  XB7.  XB8.

what speed service plan do you have?

what speed do you get via ethernet to your PC, from speedtest.xfinity.com ?

(you can click Show more... to reveal the upload speed too)

what are the specs of your PC where you're having these problems?

is the connection problem only with wifi?

are the wifi troubles only through the WAX214 ?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Like @FURRYe38 said, don't get your own yet. Right now, because you have their equipment, they can't blame it on the modem. If you switch to your own, they'll keep saying its your device and won't work to resolve it. 

It might be the new line they put in or even a connection at the hub. It wouldn't be the first line that was put in poorly or poor-end crimping by a tech. Plus, half of those jobs for line replacement (or more) are all subbed out to 3rd party contractors. So, it could still be something in the line but once you switch to your own device, you're screwed. 

So keep hammering on them to fix it until they get it right. That's why you're renting their device. 

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I agree with @plemans 

you should immediately disconnect that Netgear WAX214

and watch all your wifi problems disappear.

it will be soothing like a bubble bath.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7