Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem/Router n450 3000v2 ip needs changing

Kapalualogo
Guide

Modem/Router n450 3000v2 ip needs changing

I have just one (1) website that I cannot access recently and don't know why.   I have other computers and IOS devices that also cannot access only this website.  I can go to a neighbors home and use their wifi and there is no problem accesing the website.  I think for some reason the website is blocking my ip address from the modem/routher but I don't know how to change the address for this model.  Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Re: Modem/Router n450 3000v2 ip needs changing

Your public IP address is assigned by your ISP.  You may have to call them up and ask them to change it.  But it's often difficult to get them to cooperate.  You can try unplugging your modem for a day and hope that the ISP times out the IP address.  But this is not guaranteed to work.  IP address assignments are often sticky.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
Kapalualogo
Guide

Thank you TheEther...I have contacted my ISP (Time Warner) and they did a TraceRt and found that the problem was after their equipment handled the request so now awaiting the support group from said website. 

Message 3 of 8
Kapalualogo
Guide

TheEther, why can't Netgear give me a solution to change the ip address?  With their wifi router on the market there are instruction as to changing the ip, but with modem/router combination, there is different settings. Apparently connection with the source website is being blocked..  This I know because I went across the street to neighbors and utilized his wifi, and was able to connect without any problem..  So my best guess is that the source website either blocks or doesn't recognize my computer (ip address).

Message 4 of 8
TheEther
Guru

@Kapalualogo wrote:

TheEther, why can't Netgear give me a solution to change the ip address? 

The ISP owns the IP address assigned to your modem/router's Internet Port.  This IP address is literally programmed into a system owned and operated by the ISP.  There is nothing Netgear can do to access the ISP's system.  I suggest you call the ISP and plead with them to change your IP address.  Maybe threaten to cancel your service, though if you don't have another ISP to switch to, this could be an empty threat.

One alternative is to ask the ISP for a static IP address.  Many ISPs will give you one for a small monthly fee.  You would, then, enter this address into your modem/router's Internet setup page.  You could even do this for one month and then go back to a regular, dynamic IP address.  If you are lucky, your old IP address will have been given to someone else and you'll get a new one.  It will probably cost you $5 to $10.

Another alternative, is to subscribe to a VPN service (Google vpn service).  The way it works is that you send all of your traffic to the VPN provider and they send it to the actual destination using one of their IP addresses, not your IP address.  Any return traffic is sent to the VPN provider, which then forwards it to you.  The VPN provider acts like a middle man.  An added benefit is that the traffic sent between you and the VPN provider is encrypted.  Unfortunately, this is more of a workaround than a solution because you'll still be stuck with your IP address.

Another option is to get a new modem/router.  You would call up your ISP and tell them to deregister your old modem and register your new one.  If you're lucky, they will give you a new IP address.  But you could be unlucky and get the same IP address.

The last resort is to change your ISP.

Message 5 of 8
Kapalualogo
Guide

TheEther, thanks again for all the great advice on my problem.  I think before I change to new modem/router i'll try to find out if the sourced website is blocking me for any reason, or at the very least accept requests from my ip.

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Good idea.

Message 7 of 8
Kapalualogo
Guide

TheEther, finally I found out the source website had a power outage and a few of their customers couldn't load the website. For some unknown reason to us we weren't able to connect because our ip's were blocked. Nothing to do with Netgear after all.  Again thanks for all your help. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7