Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem/Router speed

GMA23
Aspirant

Modem/Router speed

Activated Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi cable router with voice (C7100V) in March 2023 with no trouble until recently. Connection issues occurred last two Sunday overnites. Issue disappeared on Tuesday but returned following Sunday. Provider diagnoses issue as modem not capable of handling speed. Unit is 3.0 and they say I need 3.1. They also installed their company owned modem again temporarily. Does this make sense? Thank you.
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Modem/Router speed

Yes. The 7100 is a older DOCSIS 3.0 and doesn't support 3.1. I recommend you get into a new gateway modem or go with separate modem and external wifi router configuration. 

Message 2 of 4
GMA23
Aspirant

Thank you. Would it be worth reducing internet speed slightly to accommodate this model? Just two people in the house and I’ve only had it 6 months.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

if that's something the ISP supports, sure. 3.0 was mostly good up to around 800Mpbs max. Never really supported 1Gb and ISPs not mostly required a 3.1 modem to support 1Gb fully now days. If you can get by with less, then go for it. 

At some point the ISP may stop supporting 3.0 modems and will required you to upgrade to 3.1 something. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7