Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N450 LAN connection problem via a switch

dm99
Aspirant

N450 LAN connection problem via a switch

I replaced my Time Warner Ubee router with a Netgear N450. I have 2 desktops and a TV and PS3 in my basement connected to a Netgear GS108 gigabit 8 port switch. Everything worked fine until I swapped out the router. All my wireless devices work and the desktop in our home office that is connected directly to the N450 work. One of the desktops runs Win XP Pro, the other runs Win 7. I'm getting "LAN does not have a valid IP configuration errors." I've rebooted everything, turned off DHCP and tried entering IP info manually, powered down pc's from the wall outlet etc. and spent several hours on researching this issue. Any ideas would be helpful.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
dm99
Aspirant

Re: N450 LAN connection problem via a switch

Problem solved. I brought the Win 7 PC upstairs and connected it directly to the router. The PC immediately recognized and connected to my Home network. Then in order to eliminate possible issues with the switch itself or cabling, I brought the switch upstairs and connected it between the router and the Win 7 PC. Same results as above - connected to Home Network and Internet. Took everything back downstairs and voila - both PC's are now connected successfully to the Home network and the internet using DHCP automatically. Not sure why this worked. I went through this process merely to diagnose possible hardware issues.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Do all the Ethernet ports at the switch and router illuminate as expected? Do devices that are attached to the switch ‘see’ each other when you set them with static IP addresses? Are you sure the switch connection back to the router is connected to a router LAN port and not the WAN (Internet) port? Is the modem connected to the WAN port?

Message 2 of 3
dm99
Aspirant

Problem solved. I brought the Win 7 PC upstairs and connected it directly to the router. The PC immediately recognized and connected to my Home network. Then in order to eliminate possible issues with the switch itself or cabling, I brought the switch upstairs and connected it between the router and the Win 7 PC. Same results as above - connected to Home Network and Internet. Took everything back downstairs and voila - both PC's are now connected successfully to the Home network and the internet using DHCP automatically. Not sure why this worked. I went through this process merely to diagnose possible hardware issues.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7