Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 - C3700 model modem router and time warner cable dropped connections

Cline
Guide

N600 - C3700 model modem router and time warner cable dropped connections

I have been having intermittent drops (for months, multiple times a day!) of both my wi-fi and ethernet connections with the N600 wifi cable modem (mcoel C3700). When I review the connection log, there are T3, T4 timeouts. All cable connections and wiring have been checked and replaced. I have Time Warner Cable and they installed their own modem/router side by side and it seems to work fine, no drops. They told me it must be the firmware or docsis? When I log on to netgear, it says I have the latest, most up to date firmware. I'm at a loss of how to fix this problem and wondering if it can even be fixed. It's the second modem I've bought in the past 6 months, had same issue with another one/brand and bought this one because TWC said it was better, wouldn't have issues. Huh! I've had nothing but issues. I would just like to figure out if it is an issue with the modem/router that can be fixed or if it is issue between this modem/router and time warner cable that can't be resolved and I'll be forced to rent a modem from them for the rest of my life. Extremly frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: N600 - C3700 model modem router and time warner cable dropped connections

Hello Cline 

I understand that your modem has had intermittent issues and it is getting T3 and T4 timeouts. T3 and T4 timeouts could be caused by Noise on the upstream. I understand that TWC has replaced the wiring it could be something beyond your own house wiring causing the issue which could take sometime for your ISP to fix. The couple of things that you could check is first make sure the modem is not on a cable splitter and the coax is going directly from the modem to the wall. The second thing i could suggest is to try is to move the modem to a different coax outlet in your house if possible. Hope to hear your feedback.

DarrenM  

Message 2 of 11
Cline
Guide

Thanks. I don't have the option to move to another coax outlet. And I have to have it on a splitter to run the cable TV line and the internet. I also thought it was beyond my place but no one else in my building is having the same issue. To test outside lines, they installed a time warner modem/router to run side by side the netgear and the TWC one works fine so they ruled out any outside lines being the issue. It's the netgear modem/router that is the problem and is not working with TWC. 

Message 3 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Cline

At this point I would contact netgear support and troubleshoot with them to see if there is a issue with the modem since you have seen other modems working just fine on the same cable connection.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx#tab-call

DarrenM

Message 4 of 11
Cline
Guide

Hi Darren, 

So I took earlier suggestion and connected my modem/router directly to the cable (without splitter) and it works fine so far, no drops. The problem is it means I will have to connect/disconnect anytime I want to watch cable/TV and then would not have access to internet/wi-fi at same time. I'm wondering since it works with direct connection, if it's best then to buy a separate modem and router. I'm thinking that if I have to use a splitter, maybe it will work if they are separate equipment . But maybe not. Or if it's best to ask/see if TWC will run two cables in to my place - one for internet and one for cable. If have suggestion would greatly appreciate. Thanks!

Message 5 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Cline

If you have stable connection without the splitter then I would call TWC have a tech come out and adjust your levels or run new cables because it sounds like your levels are off a little bit. Buying a separate modem router will result in the same issues.  Let me know if you have any more issues.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 11
Cline
Guide

Thanks. I might have spoke to soon. It lasted about two days and then even with direct connection it still goes out, though not as much. They ran new cables before so back to square one it seems. Thanks for help!

Message 7 of 11
goodbye2
Aspirant

I wasted an hour on line with support.  I wish I would have read this first, I know I would not have purchased this product.   I will never purchase Netgear again.

Message 8 of 11
Captainoft
Aspirant

I have same issue of drops. Solution is netgear router time before drop. Default for netgear is short. Less than a day. This is why we get dropped. Netgear needs to tell us both how to manually adjust drop time to 24 hours, in milliseconds, a large number like 9000000 milisecs which would be a full day. I have looked for settings to do this in genie, looked every setting. Looked logged in online netgear and crap everywear. Netgear should have addressed this and has this drop issue never happen . A twc tech knew this about netgear and gave me the info. Netgear is causing problem and does not know or care. I am now calling netgear to bitch and would like payment or something for my **bleep**ing time fixing their **bleep**. The router is high end and very good don't dump your modems or rourt it is just a setting for 24 hours that we need to adjust.. There you go! Russell captainoftortuga@gmail.com good luck my friend
Message 9 of 11
hoopie
Aspirant

C3700

I am having same problem with drops.  Time Warner installed this cable one month ago- so brand new.  I do not have it connected to tv, so only for internet.  Time Warner has been to house twice- everything on their end is running fine so my Netgear modem keeps going out.  Called tech- put paperclip on bottom of router and reboot.  It worked for half a day and out again.  I've wasted so much time on this.  How do I fix it?

Message 10 of 11
Cline
Guide

I ended up ditching the netgear and got a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 and problems solved. It was a lot of frustration for a simple solution. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7