Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear CAX80 cable modem router. Router dropping connection

MrG_10490312
Tutor

Netgear CAX80 cable modem router. Router dropping connection

I purchased this Netgear CAX80 in Oct 2021. At the time a high end modem/router (+$400). I can say fairly OK for the last 17 months. However, during the last week (early Mar 2023) I've had to reset the modem multiple times during the day (3x) after loosing all the WiFi network connections. I have done the following w/o any successful results:

1. Changed the SSID name & paswords for all the networks

2. Changed the modem/router location

3. Plugged the modem/router directly to wall outlet (it used to be plugged to a power strip)

Because the router is out of warranty I can't get proper support from Netgear

Today, during another router (WiFi)  outage I decided to test if hard wiring into the modem w/ ethernet cable I could get online. To my surprise, yes I was able to. So this tells me is the router section (WiFi) of this modem causing the problem. Again, I had to reset the modem to get everything working again. This can't be normal

Yesterday I called COX to check if they could help and the only thing they said was the normal ..."reset" ... which I know that resolves the problem temporarily. However, I shouldn't have to do that 3 or more times a day!!!

Has anyone else run into the same problem? What solutions did you apply to fix the issue.

Much appreciated for the forum feedback

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear CAX80 cable modem router. Router dropping connection

What firmware version are you on? 

Are you factory resetting or just rebooting? 

Have you tried downgrading the firmware a version? 

Message 2 of 6
MrG_10490312
Tutor

Thank you for your quick reply ... see below my answers.

What firmware version are you on?  V2.1.5.2

Are you factory resetting or just rebooting? Just Rebooting ... do you recommend "factory reset"?

Have you tried downgrading the firmware a version? No, I have not ... how do I do that?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If its just rebooting, try the factory reset and do a clean install. by clean install I just mean don't reinstall using a backup in case something is corrupted in the settings. 

To factory reset, push and hold reset for up to 15 seconds while powered on. 

Try that first. 

If it doesn't work, then we'll look at downgrading a version

Message 4 of 6
MrG_10490312
Tutor

OK, I did the factory reset 2 days. The drop out still happens but less often 1-2X per day.

I did notice that what drops out is the router (WiFI radio). The CAX80 has a WiFi radio button on the front of it. Once I noticed the signal has dropped I tried pushing that button again and surprise the signal comes back.

What still puzzles me is why the WiFi radio signal is dropping out all of the sudden?

Should we try to install a previous firmware version? Current version V2.1.5.2 Don't know how to do this, though ... instructions are appreciated 🙂

Thanks in advance for the support.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not hard to downgrade. Simple download the older version, follow the manual update process and instead of using newer firmware, you use the older. then you disable automatic updates. 

Worth a shot

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7