Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Cable Modem that supports voice/talk

iwhite52
Aspirant

Netgear Cable Modem that supports voice/talk

Hi crew! I'm looking to replace my Xfinity X1 cable modem with a Netgear product in order to increase the range of the Wifi signal (as well as save some $$$). I was looking very hard at the Netgear CAX80 Cable Modem and WiFi Router (which is compatible with my current Xfinity setup), except it apparently is not voice/telephone enabled to support VOIP. Is there a Netgear router that utilizes DOCSIS 3.1 and will include this feature? Otherwise, is there a work-around that anyone is aware of?

Okay, I believe I have the answer, which is the NIGHTHAWK® MULTI-GIG SPEED CABLE MODEM FOR XFINITY® VOICE (CM1150V).

Does anyone out there know if Netgear is working on a version of this cable modem that utlizes Tri-Band mesh WiFi technology? Ideally, that's what I'd want to have to work with Netgear Tri-Band mesh extenders (I've got a large, multi-level house). I don't want to purchase the CM1150V now and learn a couple of months from now that I should have waited.

Thanx

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

The cm1150v doesnt' have an integrated router. 

But I wouldn't recommend buying a 3 in 1 device anyway. Reason why is if one aspect fails, your out the whole device. for instance, it the modem goes bad, nothing will work. Plus it leaves the isp in control of the firmware. (not true of the CAX80. They seperated out the modem from the router firmware). Plus it allows you to upgrade certain aspects of it. For instance, if the router stunk, you could upgrade to a better router without having to change modem/voice options. O

I'd look at something like the cm1150v and a router solution that goes with it to suit your purposes. 

Message 2 of 5
iwhite52
Aspirant

Excellent point! I wasn't aware that the cm1150v didn't have an integrated router (but now I do see that there's no mention of a router in their description/specs). The diagram on the page now makes sense!

So, while I'll have to come out of pocket with more $$$, this does seem like the way tp go! Thanx for your insight!

Message 3 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

pair up CM1150V with tri-band Mesh.

if the Mesh gets up updated, you can upgrade to newer mesh router in future.

Modem technologies change slow compared with WIFI technologies.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I'd have to agree with @vkdelta the triband mesh networks lare pretty rock solid and work well. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7