Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 cable modem router + voice

MikeDin
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 cable modem router + voice

We have a phone connected to our cable modem router.  The phone line goes dead periodically (no dial tone).  When I reboot the router, the phone line comes back on line, but a day or two later the same thing happens.  I spoke to a rep from Comcast (Xfinity) and they indicated there was a problem with my router.  I"m looking for suggestions to solve this issue.

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 cable modem router + voice

What actual device do you have? (ac1900 is a model)

usually the phone either works or it doesn't. There isn't a whole lot for settings changes with that. 

And its not the first time xfinity would have said "its not our service".

What reason are they giving you saying its your device? 

Message 2 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@MikeDin wrote:

We have a phone connected to our cable modem router.  The phone line goes dead periodically (no dial tone).  When I reboot the router, the phone line comes back on line, but a day or two later the same thing happens.  I spoke to a rep from Comcast (Xfinity) and they indicated there was a problem with my router.  I"m looking for suggestions to solve this issue.

Of course Comcast says the problems is yours.  They want you to rent one of their gateways and increase their revenue stream!

The first thing you can do is determine what firmware is on your device.  AC1900 is not a model number.  Look on the label of your device, it could be C7000v or C7000v2.  See here for firmware versions:

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-is-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mo... 

It is the responsibility of Comcast to update the firmware on your gateway.  The end user has no option in that process.

The second thing you can do is check the cable connection to your gateway.  Instructions on where to find it are here:

https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m... 

When you find them, copy and paste the screen into a word processor, save the file as a pdf and attach it to your message reply.  Please do not insert the information in to your reply.  Very difficult to read or see.

Looking at the signal power levels, explained here:

https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router 

The specifications are in the first sentence.

Message 3 of 14
MikeDin
Tutor

The actual model number is C7100V.  The Comcast rep did not provide any details.

Message 4 of 14
MikeDin
Tutor

Attached is the cable connection info.  The actual model number is C7100V.

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

do you also have the event logs? 

the cable connections page is showing some errors but the logs help more for long term checking the line. 

to start with though, start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

Message 6 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@MikeDin wrote:

Attached is the cable connection info.  The actual model number is C7100V.

Good job on posting your signal level page.  The signal power levels are not out of line.  They could be improved.  The in home coax wiring could have an impact on the power levels.  Will wait and look at your logs when posted.

How many phones/base stations do you have connected to the RJ11 output of your gateway?

Message 7 of 14
MikeDin
Tutor

We've got one Panasonic base station hard-wired to the Tel 1 output on the modem.  Attached are the logs.  Thanks for you help.

Message 8 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@MikeDin wrote:

We've got one Panasonic base station hard-wired to the Tel 1 output on the modem.  Attached are the logs.  Thanks for you help.

This appears to be your router log.  Do you have a specific cable modem log?

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

its called event log in the settings

Message 10 of 14
MikeDin
Tutor

Here's the event log for the past two weeks.

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

bunch of line issues in there. 

Those dynamic range window violations is the power going out of spec. 

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

Message 13 of 14
MikeDin
Tutor

Our inside wiring is a bit of a spider web.  Incoming cable splits to three rooms.  Cable to computer room splits to cable TV box and cable modem router.  I found a couple of connections that were not completely tight.  The phone is working at the moment, but time will tell.  There is no good way to relocate the modem to where the incoming cable enters the house.  Interestingly, the internet has been very stable - only the phone line seems to be dropping out periodically. 

Thanks fo your help!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7