Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WiFi router/modem combo PLEASE HELP!!!

bosherboi
Star

Netgear WiFi router/modem combo PLEASE HELP!!!

I am in serious need of a new modem/router combo ASAP, DOCSIS 3.1, either dual or tri band, for WiFi 6+ 6E to be able to handle up to 1G with capability to transition and handle WiFi 7 (firmware?). Also must be compatible with Xfinity

I use Xfinity "Gigabyte Extra" service (advertised as 1200/200, reality 500/650 up/50 down). I do not live in an area that has been upgraded to the "Next Gen Network".

Ive been looking at the Arris Surfboard G54 ($599) capable of handling speeds up to 1G, the Nighthawk AX2700, and the Nighthawk CAX30 and CAX80

Can anyone make a recommendation based on my specs?? Greatly appreciate any advice and direction!!

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear WiFi router/modem combo PLEASE HELP!!!

NG doesn't have any cable modem gateway that support WiFi 6E at the moment. NG doesn't give out on what's on the future production plate either. 

CAX30 and 80 only support WiFi 6

I'd get into a separate ISP cable modem unit, something that the ISP supports. Then add on some thing that supports 6Ghz or Wifi 7:

Orbi 960 or 970 series

Nighthawk RS700

Message 2 of 8
bosherboi
Star

So you are suggesting a stand alone modem and add a mesh system instead of a router/modem combo?

I currently use the aforementioned combo (moden/router) and use the DECO W7200 mesh system.

Whether its a stand alone modem or router/modem combo, I need to do something now as the current combo has outlived its usefulness as it only delivers up to 300mbps. My current speeds are 400-600 up to 1G.

What models can you recommend?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Take a look at what your ISP supports for stand lone modems. Netgear's CM series model modems are all stand alone. CM2000 series being most available and released to the market. There is a CM3000 that's been on the burner however not due out anytime soon. Not sure when either. That's up to NG and they don't give that info out. 

Something CM series if your ISP supports it and then a Orbi MESH system mentioned earlier or if you need a bit cheaper mesh system, review the Nighthawk MK90 series system. 

Message 4 of 8
bosherboi
Star

Thank you.

As previously stated, I already use a mesh system. DECO W7200.

Would a stand-alone modem (CM2000 if ISP supports) with my current DECO W7200 be better or would a modem/router Combo (Netgear) with the same mesh system (DECO W7200) be best? Whhich would deliver the highest speeds?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM2000 series has 2.5Gb WAN port so there rated for ISP speeds up to this rate. CM1000/11/12 series are 1Gb WAN ports.
You can use your current mesh system behind the CM modem. Can't tell for sure if it has a 1Gb WAN port or 2.5Gb. Would work connected to the CM modem. 

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd wait just a little bit. You might not have mid/high split yet but its being rolled out. And the only approved ones from netgear for high split is the CM3000 (not released yet) and the CBK750 (not gig+ capable). I'd hold off on buying one for a little bit until their list is update. 

I have used the Arris G54 and its solid to use but if you're needing a mesh system, then its not a great candidate. 

MIght be worth holding off a little if you're needing/wanting all those features. 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

I've recommended that same coda56 to a few people. Pretty cheap and works great. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7