Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router Is Now Available!

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Nighthawk AX8 WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router Is Now Available!

CHP_PRODUCT_CAX80_2020-6-9_COMM.jpgNETGEAR is excited to announce that the Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router (CAX80) is now available! An Innovation Award Honoree at CES 2020, the Nighthawk CAX80 is the first of its kind and leads the new generation of cable modem router with built in DOCSIS 3.1 and WiFi 6. Designed to deliver blazing-fast Multi-Gigabit Internet, the CAX80 supports the fastest internet speed tiers from Internet Service Providers like XFINITY from Comcast, Spectrum and Cox. Additionally, the 2.5G Ethernet port with link aggregation is capable of fully delivering Gigabit+ Internet speeds to your wired devices. With the latest DOCSIS 3.1 and WiFi 6 technology, you get to experience 4 times the connected capacity, improved performance, and up to 10X faster download speeds. By supporting faster speeds and more devices with better reliability, the Nighthawk CAX80 is ideal for the smart home of today and tomorrow.

Key Features:

• Eliminate monthly cable modem rental fees and save up to $168 per year
  • Works right out of the box with XFINITY® from Comcast, Spectrum® COX® and more
  • 4X Better Performance than an AC Cable Modem Router—8 Stream WiFi with up to 1.2 + 4.8 Gbps for ultra-fast wireless speeds
  • More WiFi for More Devices—OFDMA allows efficient data transmission up to 8 devices at the same time. Uplink OFDMA improves scheduling during high volumes of upload traffic, particularly when that traffic is created simultaneously
  • Powerful Processor— dual-core 1.5GHz processor ensures smooth 4K UHD streaming & gaming
  • Multi-Gig Ethernet Port 2.5G—2.5 times the wired speed of a typical Gigabit port to be used for LAN or Internet connectivity
  • Smart Connect—Intelligently selects the fastest WiFi band for every device connection. One WiFi name for the entire home
  • Nighthawk App—Easily set up your router and get more out of your WiFi. Includes remote access to manage your network away from home
  • WiFi 6 supports all current WiFi devices and is backward compatible with WiFi 5 and earlier generation devices

To buy the Nighthawk CAX80, visit the NETGEAR Store: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/cax80.aspx

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX8 WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router Is Now Available!

Hopefully users will enjoy this one. 

Message 2 of 20
visscher
Aspirant

I am excited about this device.  I placed an order for it this morning and just received email notification that the device was cancelled off of my order.  Will this modem/router be available to order again soon?  I am confused.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you order thru NGs shop site? 

@visscher wrote:

I am excited about this device.  I placed an order for it this morning and just received email notification that the device was cancelled off of my order.  Will this modem/router be available to order again soon?  I am confused.

Message 4 of 20
visscher
Aspirant

Yes I ordered directly from netgear.com.  It looks like the "Buy Now" button is removed from the product page, so perhaps they listed it for sale too early.  I was just hoping to get an update as no explanation was given for the order cancellation.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Or ran out of stock. 

Something you might ask about with NG support. 

Message 6 of 20
koolkat
Aspirant

Hi, have had the CAX 80 for 2 days. When it works it is amazingly fast as I expected it to be, for the price. I installed using the Nighthawk app, did a firmware upgrade and all was good until the unit "lost" it's internet connection. Rebooted from the app, also rebooted by pulling out the power plug & went through "setup" on the app maybe 10 times now in 2 days. Something is not right, any suggestions. I want this unit to work what can I do?

Thanks

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post in main cable modem forum about this and we'll try to help you out. 

Thank you, 

@koolkat wrote:

Hi, have had the CAX 80 for 2 days. When it works it is amazingly fast as I expected it to be, for the price. I installed using the Nighthawk app, did a firmware upgrade and all was good until the unit "lost" it's internet connection. Rebooted from the app, also rebooted by pulling out the power plug & went through "setup" on the app maybe 10 times now in 2 days. Something is not right, any suggestions. I want this unit to work what can I do?

Thanks

Message 8 of 20
carson_adkins
Apprentice

to bad it doesnt work correctly on xfinity why did you relese it if it doesnt work with xfinity correctly?

Message 9 of 20
koolkat
Aspirant

Working with Nighthawk Tech support today regarding my problems with CAX 80 dropping the wifi connection multi times during each day. We changed the channel settings for 2.5 ghz to 6 & 5ghz to 48. Here we are 8 hours later & so far no dropped wifi....we'll see how this progresses.

Mike Goodwin

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working better. 

Please make a new post in the cable modem forum for any new problem you find. 

Enjoy. 

@koolkat wrote:

Working with Nighthawk Tech support today regarding my problems with CAX 80 dropping the wifi connection multi times during each day. We changed the channel settings for 2.5 ghz to 6 & 5ghz to 48. Here we are 8 hours later & so far no dropped wifi....we'll see how this progresses.

Mike Goodwin

Message 11 of 20
rakng2
Aspirant

Considering purchsing this product to work with xfinity.  Where you able to get it to work with xfinity?  What was/is the issue?  Concerned as Netgear states it is compatible with xfinity.  

Thanks!

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

It IS compatible with XF. You'll need to contact the ISP to have them help you get the modem associated with there services.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

@rakng2 wrote:

Considering purchsing this product to work with xfinity.  Where you able to get it to work with xfinity?  What was/is the issue?  Concerned as Netgear states it is compatible with xfinity.  

Thanks!

Message 13 of 20
carson_adkins
Apprentice

it is compatible with Xfinity just had minor bugs that are being worked out as we speak
Message 14 of 20
rakng2
Aspirant

I would like to buy it imminently. Can you please let me know what the minor bugs.

Thanks.
Message 15 of 20
koolkat
Aspirant

Hi, I'v had this unit CAX 80 about a month. When it works it is as fast as I wanted it to be. Range for wifi is very good. But, the first 10 days it dropped the wifi several times a day. Wifi not hard wirded ethernet connections. After going through 3-5 tech reps I got one who suggested a factory reset (3 times we did that) then changed the channels for each frequency. I downloaded an app for my smart phone to find out the neighborhood channel selection & then selected a channel not being used. The dropping of the wifi has decreased to about once a week, better but why???

Working with routerlogin.com/192.168.1.1 to change the channel is a real pain as you have to change your password to get to that location to then change the channel. All of this was a real learning experience but not the "out of the box" quality I thought I was getting from Netgear, especially considering the price $430.  If you can get past these types of problems I think you will be pleased with this unit.

Model: Dual Band
Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing you may not see and seems not practicle and nature of the 5Ghz freqency. You may not see 4800Mbps as mentioned in the specs for a connection rate. Seems that this needs to be in a quite noise free as possible environment and distance seems to be at a close range as well. DFS channels seem to be needed which the CAX supports. I tried many configuration with a ASUS AX supporting wireless bridge to connect at 4800Mpbs and at most I ever saw was 3600Mpbs. NG has been made aware of this. Lots of factors in achieving 4800Mpbs I guess. So for everyday use, I would not expect to see 4800Mpbs. I think wifi conditions and correct configurations are needed to fully achieve this. 

Otherwise, I had two EX7700s connected to my CAX80 and saw no big problems. Worked well for my needs. I presume EAX80 extenders would be best if you wanted to fully support AX mode thru out the home if extenders are needed. 

@rakng2 wrote:
I would like to buy it imminently. Can you please let me know what the minor bugs.

Thanks.

Message 17 of 20
rakzo
Aspirant

to be honnest im very disapointed with this product , i have been using netgear product for many years and im very happy last year i decided to upgrade my internet to gigablast with cox and i get theis panoramic wifi when i see this product i get soexited i just wana purchase but at the end after playing arround with few config and testing for few days it was a nightmare i only wish they can fix all the issue especially the connectivity one soon .

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Not having any problems with my CAX80 on a 1Gb serivce on SparkLight. 

@rakzo wrote:

to be honnest im very disapointed with this product , i have been using netgear product for many years and im very happy last year i decided to upgrade my internet to gigablast with cox and i get theis panoramic wifi when i see this product i get soexited i just wana purchase but at the end after playing arround with few config and testing for few days it was a nightmare i only wish they can fix all the issue especially the connectivity one soon .

Message 19 of 20
rakzo
Aspirant

i follow every single steps but unfurtunatelly nothing changed , cox even send a tech to my house to check all connectiong and everything and all was fine

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7