Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk C7000v2 losing connection frequently

jdicicco7
Tutor

Nighthawk C7000v2 losing connection frequently

Have a Nighthawk router that is about 3 years old.

It keeps dropping connection, when I unplug the router and plug it back in it will allow access for maybe a hour at a time.

Sometimes it brings up a netgear page which asks me to change my password for the account but not for the netgear wifi access.

Not sure what to do.
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions

In a delayed follow-up on my issue, a couple weeks ago, my internet just randomly started working normally without any drops. Then, Xfinity followed up thru the Twitter DMs I had initiated with them. It appears there was an issue in my area. They didn't go into specifics, but a tech looked into supposedly and the issue is fixed. Internet is running smoothly and perfectly. Thank goodness I didn't spend $$ on a new device or start (gulp!) renting from them.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 25

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Here is 1 of 3 attached
Message 3 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

2 of 3
Message 4 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

3 of 3
Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Power looks ok. A bit low but with in specs.

Correctables and Un-Correctables are all at zero which is good.

Lets take a look at the Event logs page please.

Message 6 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Where is the event log?

I see
Home
Cable connection
Wireless
Attached devices
Ready share
Guest network

Message 7 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Here are the event logs. 1
Message 8 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Message 9 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Message 10 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Message 11 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You have lots of Criticals in the logs. The ISP needs to look and review Criticals, Errors and Warnings seen in the logs. This indicates a signal problem from the ISP.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

Message 13 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Thank you! I have an tech coming tomorrow, I will show him your notes while he is here.

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 15 of 25

Out of curiosity, is your ISP Xfinity?

I have a C7000v2 experiencing what appears to be the same thing as you. Would love to know if and when you get this sorted out, and how you got resolved.

I have my own thread open with my issues: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/C7000v2-Wifi-connected-without-internet-then-...

Message 16 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

Yes, we use xfinity.

I looked at your post, they too have mentioned that our modem may not be compatible after their upgrades.

A lot of other residents in NH have been complaining about the same on reddit.

I have a tech coming today, I have mentioned the results from this thread. When they arrive, I am sure they will find nothing to be their fault and say that we need to buy a new modem.

Message 17 of 25

Of course they will. Plus, now that they are DRM-ing OTA local NBC affiliate broadcasts to force people to get cable, because the cable boxes are devices to decrypt the signal. Xfinity is ridiculous.

I do hope they don't tell me it's an incompatible device, because I will throw their own information back into their face.

I honestly would have no problem upgrading my own equipment. I did get a great Amazon Renewed deal on this C7000v2 for 40+% off the brand new price. And it worked like new rom the start. I'd only get a new device now if I can get a similar great deal I did then.

Any info you get and can pass along would be most appreciated. 

Message 18 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

We don't use cable TV, just internet. We don't have a cable TV box either.

So far he said that at some point in this house there were so many connections they had splitters on the outside to run more connections. The more you split the less signal you get, so he thought that was the issue and it was fixed.

Now they are trying to connect inside it still won't. He said it looked like router was doing a firmware update but now it should be able to connect.

Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to have the tech power OFF the modem for 1 full minute then back ON. 

Message 20 of 25

Just wondering, is Xfinity charging you for the tech to come out?

Message 21 of 25
jdicicco7
Tutor

That is TBD.

The chat agent said that if they come to the house and determine the issue was because of xfinity, they will not charge me. But if they come to the conclusion that this is some how my fault they will.

I'm no spring chicken here, and I've dealt with this crap from xfinity and Verizon in the past, so I am anticipating a bill that I will end up arguing.

Message 22 of 25

Fingers crossed you don't. I'll be with you raising a stink, too. 😉

Message 23 of 25

Just checking in to see what your outcome was.

Message 24 of 25

In a delayed follow-up on my issue, a couple weeks ago, my internet just randomly started working normally without any drops. Then, Xfinity followed up thru the Twitter DMs I had initiated with them. It appears there was an issue in my area. They didn't go into specifics, but a tech looked into supposedly and the issue is fixed. Internet is running smoothly and perfectly. Thank goodness I didn't spend $$ on a new device or start (gulp!) renting from them.
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7