Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk C7800 5GHz stops working

ErnieBear
Aspirant

Nighthawk C7800 5GHz stops working

Hi all,
My C7800 frequently drops the 5GHz wifi while 2.4GHz continues to work. The only way to resolve is generally power cycling the router. I've verified this isn't an individual device issue. All connected devices will disconnect and the router admin page will show nothing is connected to 5 GHz. Frequency of occurrence varies. Sometimes it is multiple times a day. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week. This has been an issue since day 1 of usage. What sort of troubleshooting can I do to resolve?
Message 1 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk C7800 5GHz stops working

@ErnieBear wrote:
Hi all,
My C7800 frequently drops the 5GHz wifi while 2.4GHz continues to work. The only way to resolve is generally power cycling the router. I've verified this isn't an individual device issue. All connected devices will disconnect and the router admin page will show nothing is connected to 5 GHz. Frequency of occurrence varies. Sometimes it is multiple times a day. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week. This has been an issue since day 1 of usage. What sort of troubleshooting can I do to resolve?

Log in to the user interface and check to see what channel you have set for your 5 GHz Wi-Fi.  Change it to a different channel in case you are having some interference from other nearby Wi-Fi sources.  Should be under Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless.  Look for the drop down buttons.  Be sure and click Apply after you make a change.

Channels 44 or 48 are good on the low end or channels 153 or 157 on the high end.

Message 2 of 6
ErnieBear
Aspirant

Looks like I had it set in the 40s from my last attempt. Will switch over to 153 and see how we fair.
Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@ErnieBear wrote:
Looks like I had it set in the 40s from my last attempt. Will switch over to 153 and see how we fair.

Is your radio frequency environment crowded?  Like a lot of neighbors with Wi-Fi transmitters?

Message 4 of 6
ErnieBear
Aspirant

Yeah I would say it's crowded. Maybe not apartment complex crowded but many single family homes in close proximity without trees or much in between. I can see something around 15 to 20 access points around me. A quick check on a wifi analyzer app indicates around seven 5GHz signals <100dBm. Each are a spread across all available channels that I can select from in the C7800 available channels.
Message 5 of 6
ErnieBear
Aspirant

Looks like it's still occuring. Oddly enough I can still see the wifi name on my devices still after it drops but will refuse to connect. A reboot fixes it every time. I'd like to not have to reboot my router every occurrence just to get the 5GHz back up. Any other suggestions?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7