Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk CAX80 VPN Connection for Home Network Only

jhlee2222
Follower

Nighthawk CAX80 VPN Connection for Home Network Only

I'm trying to use the VPN feature of my CAX80 router/modem combo device. The end goal is to allow remote access to devices on my home network via the VPN.

Here's what I've done:

1. Obtained and configured a dynamic DNS URL with NoIP. It's enabled and updating per the CAX80 interface.

2. Enabled the VPN in the interface and downloaded the files for "Smart Phone". I felt the best way to test this would be to have my phone off the WiFi network and try to connect to my home network using the VPN.

3. Had to edit the ovpn file to include all the certificate data. As it was, the files would not import into the OpenVPN client app on my phone. After putting the various keys and certificates into the file, the profile imports.

I can't find any specific tutorials on this for the CAX80. My firmware is up to date, yet the VPN refuses to connect. The client on my phone shows per the log "connecting to..." and it shows my no IP address. It seems to just end with a Server Poll timeout.

Message 1 of 2
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk CAX80 VPN Connection for Home Network Only

Turn the Wi-Fi on your phone off.  You must test via the cell phone data connection.

Never touched (edited) the downloaded configuration file.  The three radio buttons in the advanced configuration section are key prior to downloading the file.

You must copy the configuration file to the highest root level directory on your phone’s storage.  Not on an SD card.

Install the OpenVPN Connect application from the play store.

Start the OpenVPN Connect application and import your profile.

Establish your connection. 

Using UDP instead of TCP also works.

Never have been successful in trying to limit access to home network only.

See attached screen snip.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7