Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk c7000v2 Wifi died?

xorange90x
Aspirant

Nighthawk c7000v2 Wifi died?

I have had this unit for about 8 months and it's been great. I bought it used for $70 which at the time was about 1/4 of what Best Buy was selling it for. I have it connected to WOW and I'm on the 500Mbps plan.

As of about 2 weeks ago the WiFi stopped working. The SSID wasn't showing up on any of my devices, so I logged into the settings to have a look. Sure enough WiFi was turned off. After I clicked the toggle to turn it on, the unit froze up and then rebooted with WiFi STILL turned off. I tried a couple more times but to no avail. It just locks up and reboots. Also I noticed if I try to go into the Advanced Settings page it will do the exact same thing. Hardwired seems to work just fine.
I believe the firmware version is one behind the latest, but I never had an issue prior to this, and the latest version has been out much longer than I've owned the unit.

I have read about these overheating, however mine is on the floor of my bedroom in a wide open corner with ample air flow. It's also not used 24hrs straight as I unplug overnight.

I had to revert back to my old Arris which is only capable of about 300Mbps, so at this point I'm paying for bandwidth I cannot take full advantage of.

Any help is appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk c7000v2 Wifi died?

Be sure the wifi radio button and led is enabled. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

I recommend a laptop cooler placed under any modem or router for additional cooling. 

Message 2 of 7
xorange90x
Aspirant

I performed the factory reset twice via the reset button on the back. I held it in until all lights went off.

I have not updated it at all since I've owned it. Being a combo unit, it would be up to the ISP to push an update. According to the settings page it is not fully up to date.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

So even powering OFF the modem from the wall out put and pulling the coax cable for 2 minutes then back in and ON results in same thing? If so, unit is probably bad. Only could of things you can do, fully disable the wifi radios on the modem and connect up a separate wifi system, Orbi, MK MESH or another router and configure AP mode on these, or configured the modem for modem only mode and connect up a external wifi router and go from there. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Did you try pushing and holding the wifi on/off button for 2 seconds? if its disabled through hardware and not the firmware, then the hardware needs to re-enable it. It'll stay off even through a factory reset if the hardware is disabled. 

Message 5 of 7
xorange90x
Aspirant

I did not try that. I'll plug it in and see if that works. I don't recall, but is that button lighted? It is quite possible that it was pressed on accident. If it ends up being the case then I'll tape something over it to prevent it being pressed in the future.

I'll report my findings later this evening. Thanks!
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

From the manual, its the 2nd one up from the bottom. Its its lit, the wifi should be on

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7