Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No wifi connection on N300 router using a Window XP device

Igen
Aspirant

No wifi connection on N300 router using a Window XP device

Just set up an N300 Model C3000 Cable Modem Router. No problems connecting all my devices EXCEPT an old Windows XP desktop that my wife wants to hold to. The desktop sees the router, but refuses to connect to it even when I turn off all security. In fact, it would rather connect to a neighbor's unsecured router than to mine! What's going on?

Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Igen 

Have to tried to see if there are any newer wireless drivers for that pc? also you may want to clear out any old networks that it have connected to in the past then try to connect.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Igen
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM: Since I posted my problem concerning the lack of an initial connection to C3000 using Windows XP, I found the solution nestled right inside the router. All my searches online told me to "uncheck the box that enables the IEEE 802...." (which I did) but neglected to mention the fact that there exists for the C3000 three security options: none, WPA2-PSK(AES) and WPA-PSK(KTIP)+WPA2-PSK(AES). The trick is to choose the third option, which allows me to use the XP and Vista OS's in addition to the newer Windows OS's.

Funny that the technicien at NetGear was unaware of this problem and, after an hour of fiddling around, gave me a C3000 replacement option. So thank you for your help and now I can go on to work on other problem I have with my WiFi connections!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7