Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS 20 satellite slow wifi

rxrush
Tutor

Orbi RBS 20 satellite slow wifi

I have a mesh wifi with CBR40 modem/router and 2 RBS20 satellite. I have a 400mbps cable connection. The modem/router (CBR40) is able to transmit a strong signal with 350-400+ mbps receiving at or near the router on wifi. But when I go to a room or basement with a satellite(RBS20) the speeds are far slower 50-100mbps. I have tried moving the satellites but the speed doesnt change much. What are some things that I can do to increase the satellite speeds (change channel, reduce transmit power etc.)
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS 20 satellite slow wifi

The CBR40 and RBS20 products feature a dedicated 5G WiFi channel for "backhaul" between router and satellite.  This number is the theoretical maximum data rate that a 5G WiFi 2x2 MIMO system can achieve (two antennas).  In actual installations, WiFi strength is affected dramatically by:

• Distance - how far is the satellite from the router?
  • Building materials - how many walls/floors are between the router and satellite and how are they constructed?

For example, my RBR50-RBS50 product supports a theoretical backhaul rate of 1,733Mbps.  (because this model has 4x4MIMO - four antennas - for the backhaul link).  They are about  25 ft. apart.  Yet I have observed an actual data rate between router and satellite of 780Mbps (less than half).  There is enough wood in the walls, floor, and floor joists to reduce the WiFi connection that much.  How did I measure this?  At one time, Netgear supported a Telnet interface on the router and there is a command to display the satellite information.

(Because I am a Nerd...) I ordered 50ft. and 100ft. Ethernet cables from Amazon. (less than $20US each).  This allows me to connect something directly to the router Ethernet port from anywhere in the house.  (I do this only when everyone else is away.  They make snide comments when the cable is running down the stairs and across several rooms.)

If you have access to a long enough Ethernet cable, you could (temporarily) connect the satellite directly to one of the router LAN ports.  In a few minutes, the backhaul connection will change from WiFi to 'wired'.  Observe the speed when wired.  I would dearly love to wire my satellites directly to the router, but installing Ethernet cables in this old house is simply not practical.

Message 2 of 8
rxrush
Tutor

Agreed, if I had a long enough Ethernet cable, it would solve the problem but its not possible without looking absolutely atrocious. The reason why I bring this up is because just few months ago it was working fine and the satellites were beaming close to full speed. I just ran a speed test recently and saw the drop in speed on the satellite connected devices only. I have read in other forums that factory reset doesnt solve the issue either.
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, that's why using a cable temporarily was suggested as a method of determining that "nothing is wrong" with the satellite.  If the satellite is wired to the router and performance is still below expectations, that is a whole different issue.

One of the first questions asked is, "What changed?"  (Another tedious story....) My alarm system base unit is located upstairs at one end of the house. (could not find a suitable location downstairs, so "why not?")  I started noticing that every time I armed the system, it would claim that one of my gate sensors was off-line.  WTF??  Been working for over a year.  Changed the sensor battery.  Still off-line.  Finally... realized that I had moved the base unit a couple of feet when doing something.  Moved the base unit back to the original location.  Gate sensor has remained on-line ever since!

Could anything have changed about the location or orientation of the router and satellite?  Some object placed next to one of them?

Message 4 of 8
rxrush
Tutor

So this problem is seen on both of my RBS20 satellites, none of them have been moved nor has my router CBR40 been moved. The satellite works well when connected via ethernet to the router. Im thinking it could be related to a back haul issue but hard to tell.
Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

There has always been an adage in computing, "If it's not working right, turn it off and back on again."  i.e power off the  satellites, router, and modem.  Power up the modem....wait....power up the router...wait....power up one satellite at a time.

There is one potential complication with doing this: stupid devices can connect stupidly.  This often happens after a temporary power outage.

Mobile devices are programmed to continue scanning the available WiFi networks all the time.  When they find a better connection, they drop the previous WiFi access point and reconnect to the better one.  (There are official IEEE standard which describe how this is supposed to work.)  Devices that are not designed to move (televisions, cameras, smart plugs, etc.) sometimes act like once they connect to a WiFi access point, they quit looking. This can be really annoying when the router WiFi signal appears first, before the satellites have begun broadcasting their WiFi signals.  A device can connect to the router, which is farther away and has a weaker signal, and then "hang onto it" despite the poor performance.

One of the most frequently  asked questions on the forum is, "How do I force a device to connect to a specific Orbi unit?"  The answer is, "That is not possible."  WiF devices follow IEEE protocols and connect however they connect.

(This is really a stretch, but....) If the device used to measure speed was originally connected to the router WiFi, then taken to a satellite location and remained connected to the router rather than switching to the satellite, then performance would be much less.  Message 1 asked if reducing the Transmit Power level might help.  If the Attached Devices page showed the test device clinging to the router connection rather than changing to the satellite, then reducing Transmit Power might force the device to switch.  Attached Devices does not update instantly when a device switches. Can take several minutes.

Message 6 of 8
rxrush
Tutor

Re: Satellites only getting 100 Mbps wired and 40-50 Mbps wireless

Firmware 2.1.4.6 for cbr40 and 2.1.4.16 for rbs20, you all need to go back to this firmware and all speeds go back to ISP purchased speed. The new firmware somehow does not allow full purchased speed. I did this and everything is working well again.
Message 7 of 8
rxrush
Tutor

Solution found, reverting back to firmware 2.1.4.6 for cbr40 and 2.1.4.16 for rbs20 solved the problem.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7