Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental Control CG3000 - Optus Making Customer Lives Unbearable & Children's Lives Unsafe

Astounded
Aspirant

Parental Control CG3000 - Optus Making Customer Lives Unbearable & Children's Lives Unsafe

"Optus has stripped out the parental control functionality sir, but I'm not supposed to tell you.  You need to speak to them."

"God no, why would they do something evil like that?"

"Well Sir, you'll have to speak to Optus about it, but I think they did it so they could sell you a subscription to their parental control service."

"I have spoken to them, they said speak to Netgear."

"Sorry Sir."

And so it goes ..

Rround and round in circles ..

Year after year..

Modem model after modem model..

Most people think it must be something they cant understand - and they just give up in frustration ...

Well my friends, if you think it's unethical to strip out firmware which responsible modem producers like Netgear and Cisco etc have installed to protect children and the vulnerable then get on the phone and start blasting Optus -

• Write it on your Facebook page,
  • Start an online petition.  
  • Tweet it
  • Instagram it
  • Write to the telecommunication ombudsman
  • Tell the press

Because it's a shameful and disgraceful situation and it's hard to believe it's been going on for so long.  And it has nothing to do with the technical characteristics of the broadband service. It's got lots to do with greed and undirect exploitation of our young people.

Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: Parental Control CG3000 - Optus Making Customer Lives Unbearable & Children's Lives Unsafe

You have two possible options:

1. Disable NAT on the CG3000. This will put it into bridge mode. Then you can install your own router and use your preferred parental control solution. This thread on Optus's own forum has the instructions, about half-way down.
  2. Netgear's parental controls are based on OpenDNS technology. It works by using OpenDNS DNS servers to filter lookups to websites with objectionable material. The CG3000 is probably hard coded to use Optus DNS servers; hence, no Netgear parental controls.

Well, there's a way around that. You can change the DNS servers on your devices. OpenDNS has instructions for Mac and Windows. For Android or IOS devices, query your favorite search engine for change android dns server or change iphone dns server. You can use either OpenDNS's main servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) or their FamilyShield servers (208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123).

FamilyShield is a set and forget service. You trust OpenDNS to filter content correctly. On the other hand, if you want to customize the filtering, then use the main servers and create an OpenDNS account. They have free and paid versions of their filtering service.
Message 2 of 6
Astounded
Aspirant

Re: Parental Control CG3000 - Optus Making Customer Lives Unbearable & Children's Lives Unsafe

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Perhaps the most basic observation is that the modem firmware is sufficient to achieve what needs to be done if Optus didnt tamper with things.   It actually worked nicely until something (no doubt on the Optus side) threw a spanner in the works.

The key issue with functionality at the moment is the lack of Bypass.  Bypass accounts can be set up but loggin doesnt respond.  (I've removed the double account situation at OpenDNS which seems to be a regular issue when people have trouble with their Bypass accounts.)

The device side options you mention have never been feasible because of the number of devices kicking around the place - it has to be a central solution.

I know the router option is kicked around a bit but the bottom line is it would require doubling the hardware, expense and complexity.  I also lose control of the "gap" between the router and the modem.

Again I appreciate your comment.

You have two possible options:

1. Disable NAT on the CG3000. This will put it into bridge mode. Then you can install your own router and use your preferred parental control solution. This thread on Optus's own forum has the instructions, about half-way down.
  2. Netgear's parental controls are based on OpenDNS technology. It works by using OpenDNS DNS servers to filter lookups to websites with objectionable material. The CG3000 is probably hard coded to use Optus DNS servers; hence, no Netgear parental controls.

Well, there's a way around that. You can change the DNS servers on your devices. OpenDNS has instructions for Mac and Windows. For Android or IOS devices, query your favorite search engine for change android dns server or change iphone dns server. You can use either OpenDNS's main servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) or their FamilyShield servers (208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123).

FamilyShield is a set and forget service. You trust OpenDNS to filter content correctly. On the other hand, if you want to customize the filtering, then use the main servers and create an OpenDNS account. They have free and paid versions of their filtering service.
Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

If your kids are confined to using specific devices, then you can override the DNS settings on just those devices. Hopefully, the number of such devices is manageable.

Granted, adding a router is an additional expense, but it is not that complicated. The gap between the router and modem can be made a non-issue by co-locating them in a closet where access is difficult.

Anyway, I respect your viewpoint. I'm just here to present options for working around the restrictions imposed by Optus.

Message 4 of 6
Astounded
Aspirant

I certainly appreciate the work around you suggest and the time you have taken to respond. 

Practically speaking the additional expense and complexity will not be undertaken by the average average modem purchaser.

You have address the technical consideration.

Optus needs to consider their ethical and social responsibilities:

Optus is compromising the standard software which modem manufacturers ship with their modems. It removes basic and critical safety functions which guardians would otherwise use to protect their children or other vulnerable internet users . 

The importance of this functionality has been recognised by socially responsible companies like Netgear which is why they have written it into the standard firmware.

Optus “re-packages” the "stolen" functionality for profit:

Optus offers back the basic parental control functions for more than the cost of the original modem via an ongoing subscription.

To add insult to injury Optus says it is just a service provider and parents need to make their own arrangements for protecting their children.

Minimum Safety Standards - Where Children Are End Users

Any product or service which is going to end up in the hands of children should be shipped with a minimum standard of "safety equipment".  Indeed this is what the socially responsible modem manufactuers are doing.

Not to exaggerate the matter but I cannot see the difference between this and a bicycle reseller taking the brakes off children's bikes and then offering them as optional extras – arguing that it’s the responsibility of parents to make sure their children can stop in time!

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

I'm not sure I would consider parental controls as the equivalent of brakes on a bicycle. I think it's more apt to consider them equivalent to a companion rider on a tandem bicycle that prevents a child from entering known, bad neighborhoods. But this companion doesn't know about all bad neighborhoods. Worse, this companion cannot accompany the child on a different bike. The latter comes into play when a child has access to a smartphone. Parental controls on a cable modem will only filter Internet access via Wi-Fi. They will not help at all via cellular.

I am not condoning the Optus' profit-minded motive of removing built-in support of parental controls. But I don't think we can consider parental controls basic safety equipment. It's a handy supplemental tool, but it's no substitute for close, parental oversight and coaching.

I would suggest that you head over to the Optus Community Forum and express your thoughts, there. I think your beef is more with Optus than with Netgear.

Finally, if it's an option, you can vote with your feet. If Telstra is available in your area, then you can switch providers.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7