Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 3 days with the CM3000 and I love it.

MamaJ
Tutor

I also just updated to Xfinity 1200Gbps internet speed. I ordered the CM3000 modem from Netgear as our old one was end of life anyway. I figured this was a little more than needed, but was hoping to future proof. After hooking it up today, I was trying to activate it in the app but the MAC number wouldn't go through. The guy on the chat asked for the model number so I gave him CM3000-100NAS off the box and he said that wasn't compatible. This is the only model of CM3000 on Netgear's website, so what is the issue??? Is the problem something about the 10G??? I don't even know if we have 10G here. I can't get anyone coherent or human at Xfinity. HELP PLEASE! 

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
MamaJ
Tutor

Re: I ordered the CM3000 modem from Netgear

Well, the good news is I’m finally up and running! Apparently, my guy, Nikita, at Xfin didn’t finish the job yesterday evening. When we tried to go to any website we got an error message from safari saying the connection wasn’t private and someone could steal personal or financial information. Very unnerving. I tried rebooting the modem and then the router and it still didn’t work.Thought maybe it was a router setting issue. I went to the xfin app and it allowed me to activate the modem. I guess Nikita didn’t do that part. I thought he did because he needed the Cm Mac number which was the first thing I needed to activate. Anyway, the activation did the trick! So far, so good! Thank you to all of you for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Read back the MAC address seen on the bottom sticker under the modem unit it self. 
The CM3000 IS compatible with CC/XF ISP services. Need to find a competant ISP agent to help you out. 

If it seems the MAC address is failing, you'll need to return the CM modem and get another unit. 

Message 2 of 13
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @MamaJ ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with activating your new CM3000 with Xfinity. Were you able to finally activate your modem?

If not, here is an article that may help you: How to Activate and Verify a Netgear Cable Modem with Your Cable ISP? 

Please let us know if you're still experiencing an issue with activation.

Best,

ChristineT

Message 3 of 13
MamaJ
Tutor

I thought maybe it was due to possibly not being on 10G from Xfinity. Does this have anything to do with it? If not, I'll contact Netgear for an exchange. Thank you! 

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

No. I'd check the MAC address once more on the sticker on the bottom of the unit. If it still seem to fail, then ya, ask NG for a replacement.

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

You could also log into it and compare the info in the status page to see if the Mac id is the same
Message 6 of 13
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @MamaJ ,

No, that shouldn't impact your ability to activate your CM3000. Did you try the activation link  http://xfinity.com/activate and that also failed?

Best,

Christine

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

Not sure if you can activate with the link. 

With xfinity it usually has to be through the app, a chat, or a rep. 

I'd try the xfinity app. I've had quite a bit of luck with that. 

and to check the mac address, connect a pc to the modem and go to 192.168.100.1

login and set it up and the status page should have the mac address you can compare. 

Message 8 of 13
MamaJ
Tutor

I spent an hour on chat with Nikita from Xfinity and lo and behold he said it’s compatible unlike the two different guys I talked to earlier. He was doing something from his end and any minute it should be done provisioning. Let’s hope this works! I thought it would be easy just activating using the app from the get go when I first set everything up but it wouldn’t accept the MAC number. Then they said it wasn’t compatible with my plan, yet reading several blogs others have the same speed internet and are using the same modem on Xfinity. So, I gave it another shot and hopefully Nikita knows what he’s doing and has me fixed up. Thanks for all the help everyone! I’ll let you know if things aren’t working out!
Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

yeah, a helpful knowledgeable tech makes a big difference. I've always hated calling into xfinity as you spend to much time on the phone and half the time get someone who's sketchy. 

Hope it works great for you!

Message 10 of 13
MamaJ
Tutor

Well, the good news is I’m finally up and running! Apparently, my guy, Nikita, at Xfin didn’t finish the job yesterday evening. When we tried to go to any website we got an error message from safari saying the connection wasn’t private and someone could steal personal or financial information. Very unnerving. I tried rebooting the modem and then the router and it still didn’t work.Thought maybe it was a router setting issue. I went to the xfin app and it allowed me to activate the modem. I guess Nikita didn’t do that part. I thought he did because he needed the Cm Mac number which was the first thing I needed to activate. Anyway, the activation did the trick! So far, so good! Thank you to all of you for your help!
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you were able to get it going and the CM MAC address is proper and correct. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others know.

Enjoy. 

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

glad the app worked! I was sad to see the online portal activation get disabled and require the app but its been pretty solid for me when I use it. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7