Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement C3700 that Netgear is sending is USED and not Brand NEW !!!!

carl321
Star

Replacement C3700 that Netgear is sending is USED and not Brand NEW !!!!

So after getting comcast techs and paying them over $70 for nothing.. I had to send the modem back to Netgear since the fault was with my equipment (netgear c3700) which is only 99days old. I bought it brand new from BestBuy for $150+

Netgear like all modem manufacturers have really lame return policies and the agent on the phone promised me a brand new device but I had to send my device first to them. Otherwise they were charging me another $29.99 and a $150 hold on my card for any expedited shipping..

Hurray !!!

Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Replacement C3700 that Netgear is sending is USED and not Brand NEW !!!!

Hello carl321

I have sent you a PM about your RMA case

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
carl321
Star

GREAT NEWS i got a brand new device from Netgear..

and guess what I'm still getting 40Mbps on the wifi (5Ghz) on a unique channel. While I was waiting for this I had a SBG6580 hookedup and I was getting constant wifi speeds of 70-85Mpbs and I get 101-110Mbps on the ethernet. 

So I decided to call netgear: they connected me to a nice gentlemen Gokulagent  ID (1300)

- I explained him the situation (including the previous ticket numbers)

- he wasnt giving any help since my router was over the 90day period(well the warranty not this router since I just got it)

- then he asked me to pay $129 for a 1year support service and 2yrs one was around $199 (i obviously burst out laughing)

- after paying $150 for a modem they are asking for more money !!

- exchange/swapping the modem was part of the solution to help the customer out

--------

I hate to throw names and titles out but i do work as a network engineer, however I do not have any experience on residential products as I configure cisco routers and switches to other clients and I do understand how customer support work...

Now; I have clearly explained what changes I did on the modem but he kept saying he needs remote access to configure my modem correctly but ofcourse I need to take out my credit card first !

changes that I have done are :

-----------------------------------

*enabled the 5Ghz network since all my device supports it

* scanned the channels to see  which ones my neighbors are using and I have switch mine to a unique one so there isnt any interference from their networks

*I have also checked on both encryption types (AES and TKIP) = gives the same results on wifi

*im using the same wifi security key

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Other than this I dont see any other configurations that you can do on this modem !! So basically either the agent is trying hard to follow some call flow or their main objective is to up sell the support package and make money. Best part is while waiting for a supervisor the agent released the call !!

They really know how to make the customer angry. I just want my wifi to work properly and I did pay the full price for the modem. RIght now if netgear can give me a full REFUND i would hapily go and get another product. 

PLEASE HELP YOUR CUSTOMERS DONT TREAT US LIKE CRAP !!!

Message 3 of 6
carl321
Star

Since they did not call me back- I decided call them again !

Got through to Radhika (Agent NoXXX)

-----

went thru the same call flow and I asked her to put me thru to a supervisor

she was slightly reluctant to do that. after been hold for 20mins she came back on  and said that the supervisor is too busy "assisting other customers"

I said I can wait.. after another 10min on hold she came online ans said that according to instructions from Netgear or netgear policies they HAVE to charge me to help me with any support. I said I want to talk to the supervisor....

on hold for 12mins- she came back on and said that the supervisor is busy and that he will call me in 10-30mins

so she promised me a call back from the supervisor (Suyambu)

now im waiting...

*** i dont want any support; I dont want them to remotely access my router: im just asking for any documentation that they may so i can "configure" my device "correctly"

Right now Netgear is basically saying that they will sell us a $150 product but will keep the settings hidden from the customer and if we want the "correct settings" we have to pay another $199

Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello carl321

I am sorry that the product isn't working up to standard for you I have sent you Private message about getting your case back on track.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 6
carl321
Star

PROBLEM SOLVED !

As you may have seen ive been having alot of issues with this device. The solution is DONT BUY this device if you are with COMCAST !. Here is why:

1. Slow speeds on wifi were due to an out dated firware version on the device according to NETGEAR (Tier 3 agent at the HQ in California) 

2. After a FCC complaint that I filed; someone from Corp office at COMCAST called me. HE checked with his senior engineers and said that COMCAST does not have the latest firmware for the netgear device. He accepted that the firmware is completely handled (updated) by COMCAST and not NETGEAR (for the first time)

3. So basically dont use this device on COMCAST and if you want to but your own device in the future please check the compatible device which have been tested and passed with a 3 star rating at COMCAST website. link : http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Make:  Netgear
Model:  C3700-100NAS (Retail)
Retail:  Yes
Device Type:  Gateway
DOCSIS Version:  3.0
End of Life?  No
Certification:  

certification should have 3 stars according to COMCAST for that device to have the latest firmware on it !

If you look carefully on this list Netgear device is not properly tested at COMCAST and they will not be doing anything in the near future. However Motorola / ARRIS devices are fuly supported by COMCAST (becasuse they own 10-15% of ARRIS 😄

Sadly ARRIS devices arent the best and their wifi signal strength is absurb compared to some other providers. 

---------

I bought a Airport express router for $85 on amazon and this has fixed all my wifi issues. (thank you Apple)

Basically im using a $150 device as just a dumb modem 😞

Only if I knew about this corporate mumbo jumbo earlier. God Bless America !

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7