Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow Upload Speed All Of A Sudden

CJinVA
Guide

Slow Upload Speed All Of A Sudden

I have a Netgear 1900 c7000v2 modem/router (installed in April 2019) ethernetted to my PC (new in March 2019). I have the Cox Internet Preferred 250 plan (250 download and 10 upload) and normally get about 280-290 mbps download and 10-11 mbps upload.  Only Cox can update the firmware, current version is 1.03.01. Recently, I noticed I am only getting 0.6 mbps on the upload. I have reset the modem, changed the port and cable, checked for updates, etc. I have good channel locking on 24 of 24 download channels and 4 of 8 upload channels.  I switched to wifi and got 230 on the download and 10.8 on the upload, ie pretty normal for wifi with the other PCs/Laptops in the house that operate on wifi. So, what is wrong? Any idea if I have a mechanical problem with the modem/router, or the PC?

Not sure what specs might be useful, but:

Dell XPS 8930 (Apr 2019)

Intel i7-8700 @ 3.2 ghz

16 RAM

Win 10 22H2

Killer E2400 gb Ethernet Controller

Qualcomm QCA 9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter

Nvidia GEforce GTX 1050 Ti

Baseboard Dell, ODF425, A00

Thanks

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
CJinVA
Guide

Seems to be a problem with Killer and Windows updates.  I uninstalled the Killer Intelligence Center from the Start/Programs list, and uninstalled the Killer E2400 GB Ethernet Controller from Control Panel-Programs-Programs and Features.  Restarted the PC and Speedtest has me getting my expected 8 ping, 286 download and 10.46 upload.  Some folks on the Dell Forum have said Windows will keep reinstalling it.  You can try and disable it in Services or Task Manager, but stopping Windows automatic updates may turn out to be the only solution in the long run.  Seems Dell/Windows need to get their act together.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@CJinVA wrote:

I have a Netgear 1900 c7000v2 modem/router (installed in April 2019) ethernetted to my PC (new in March 2019). I have the Cox Internet Preferred 250 plan (250 download and 10 upload) and normally get about 280-290 mbps download and 10-11 mbps upload.  Only Cox can update the firmware, current version is 1.03.01. Recently, I noticed I am only getting 0.6 mbps on the upload. I have reset the modem, changed the port and cable, checked for updates, etc. I have good channel locking on 24 of 24 download channels and 4 of 8 upload channels.  I switched to wifi and got 230 on the download and 10.8 on the upload, ie pretty normal for wifi with the other PCs/Laptops in the house that operate on wifi. So, what is wrong? Any idea if I have a mechanical problem with the modem/router, or the PC?

Not sure what specs might be useful, but:

Dell XPS 8930 (Apr 2019)

Intel i7-8700 @ 3.2 ghz

16 RAM

Win 10 22H2

Killer E2400 gb Ethernet Controller

Qualcomm QCA 9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter

Nvidia GEforce GTX 1050 Ti

Baseboard Dell, ODF425, A00

Thanks

Some suggestions: 

Make sure your Ethernet cable between the gateway and the PC is good.  Cat 6 is recommended.

Make sure you have the most recent Ethernet port drivers installed on your PC.

On the PC, check the classification of your network.  It should be private and not public.

In Windows control panel, you could try the Network Troubleshooter script.

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

do you have a different wired device you could test?

Message 3 of 13
CJinVA
Guide

None of those suggestions have worked.

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

you try the other pc/wired device?

Message 5 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@CJinVA wrote:

None of those suggestions have worked.

If you depend on Microsoft (Windows) to keep the Ethernet port driver up to date, recommend you go to Dell and update to their most recent driver.  Make sure you download the correct driver for your operating system (Windows 10 - 32 bit or 64 bit).  See attached.

So far, all indications point to an issue with your computer or Ethernet cable.  Dell has some excellent troubleshooting tools available.  They are the Dell Command Update and the Dell Support Assist for home PC's.  As an owner of a Dell computer, you should be making full use of these tools.  If you are not the owner, it is not required for you to be registered to use the tools.

Message 6 of 13
CJinVA
Guide

I have tried updating drivers with both Windows and Dell, with no change in performance.  Admittedly, the dell driver page/process seems confusing to me, but I downloaded and installed the item as mentioned by Kitsap.

I hooked up another PC to the router and get good speedtests:  289 download and 10.87 upload, which is what is expected  It would seem that indicates the router-modem is good, and I assume the card or driver in the PC would be the problem causing slow upload speeds with ethernet.

Message 7 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@CJinVA wrote:

I have tried updating drivers with both Windows and Dell, with no change in performance.  Admittedly, the dell driver page/process seems confusing to me, but I downloaded and installed the item as mentioned by Kitsap.

I hooked up another PC to the router and get good speedtests:  289 download and 10.87 upload, which is what is expected  It would seem that indicates the router-modem is good, and I assume the card or driver in the PC would be the problem causing slow upload speeds with ethernet.

If you look at that screen snip I posted, you will see there has been a recent BIOS update for your machine that is labeled as critical by Dell.  That also could play a part in your computer issue.

On the Dell support website, identify your specific machine using the service tag number.  That will identify the specific updates that apply to your machine.  Recommend you do not try to accept them all at one time.  Update one at a time with a computer restart in between.

Message 8 of 13
CJinVA
Guide

The updating seems weird to me.  I can run Dell update and get no updates, everything is up to date.  I can go to dell and and look for drivers on my service tag and there are a bunch of them listed, but it is unclear to me if those are updates to my PC or the latest version for my PC.  I will try a few of them and see if they fall off the list after I restart.

For instance, the bios version that is supposedly the latest, is the version i have on my pc.

Message 9 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@CJinVA wrote:

The updating seems weird to me.  I can run Dell update and get no updates, everything is up to date.  I can go to dell and and look for drivers on my service tag and there are a bunch of them listed, but it is unclear to me if those are updates to my PC or the latest version for my PC.  I will try a few of them and see if they fall off the list after I restart.

For instance, the bios version that is supposedly the latest, is the version i have on my pc.

That is good...

See attached screen snip.  This shows there are 64 updates in total available for the 8930 series.  When you click on This Device it asks for your service tag number, and provides a list specific to your machine.  Neither list identifies what is or is not installed on your machine.  You can sort the list by importance or date as desired.

The simplest approach is to go to the 31 Jan release of the Dell Update Windows Universal Application, download and install.  After install, run the application and it will scan what is installed on your machine and give you a list of what is not yet installed.

Do not attempt to install them all at once.  Remove the check marks and do one at a time with a computer restart in between.  In theory you should be able to install them all at once.  Experience on numerous Dell machines has taught me otherwise.

Message 10 of 13
CJinVA
Guide

Dell Update is up to date and it still does not indicate anything to update for my system.  It is fully updated.

Message 11 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@CJinVA wrote:

Dell Update is up to date and it still does not indicate anything to update for my system.  It is fully updated.

Progress and that is good. 

If you do a web search for the Killer E2400 gb Ethernet Controller you will find a varied history and not all of it good.

Your Ethernet controller is an Intel product.  You have tried drivers from Microsoft and from Dell without much success.

In your web search, there should be drivers that can be downloaded from Intel for installation.

I presume your Ethernet port is part of your motherboard and not a separate add-in card?

Message 12 of 13
CJinVA
Guide

Seems to be a problem with Killer and Windows updates.  I uninstalled the Killer Intelligence Center from the Start/Programs list, and uninstalled the Killer E2400 GB Ethernet Controller from Control Panel-Programs-Programs and Features.  Restarted the PC and Speedtest has me getting my expected 8 ping, 286 download and 10.46 upload.  Some folks on the Dell Forum have said Windows will keep reinstalling it.  You can try and disable it in Services or Task Manager, but stopping Windows automatic updates may turn out to be the only solution in the long run.  Seems Dell/Windows need to get their act together.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7