Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

So Xfinity upgraded my internet to 600mb

maskabone
Follower

So Xfinity upgraded my internet to 600mb

So Xfinity upgraded my internet to 600mb and they are telling me my modem Moto MG7550 won't support that speed. They were correct cause the highest I'll get is 373. I decided to buy a used Netgear C6900 off of OfferUp. Apparently the built in wifi doesn't work. I read somewhere on Reddit I can use two cable modems but one has to be in bridge mode. I put Netgear in bridge mode and then connected both modems with a network cable. I have internet thru Netgear but no internet wifi thru moto. Although I can connect. I know I'm missing something. 

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: So Xfinity upgraded my internet to 600mb

You can't bridge cable modems. 

Thats what you missed

Message 2 of 3

Re: So Xfinity upgraded my internet to 600mb

@maskabone wrote:

I read somewhere on Reddit I can use two cable modems but one has to be in bridge mode. I put Netgear in bridge mode and then connected both modems with a network cable.

Why are you using two modem/routers on your network? That is an invitation to chaos.

No need ro rely on something you read "somewhere on Reddit", here's the local advice:

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apparently the built in wifi doesn't work.

For the C6900, bridge mode means that you bypass the router bit. So there is no WiFi from it, because you turned it off.

You may get Wifi from the other thing, but it won't have an Internet connection. The Netgear modem has to be before the Moto MG7550. And it doesn't have a "router only" mode.

In other words, you can't use the Moto MG7550 as a router behind the C6900. There's no WAN port on the back.

So, back to the original question, why are you using two modem/routers?

A better approach would be to ditch the Moto MG7550 and use the Netgear modem/router in modem/router mode.

By the way, you have posted you message in the wrong section. Try here:

Cable Modems & Gateways - NETGEAR Communities

You have also broken one of the rules of this place.

The community rules don't like "hijacking".

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

In future if you have problems, start your own conversation.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7