Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Static Routes C3000

synoptics
Guide

Static Routes C3000

I'm trying to replace a WGR614v9 and a DOCSIS 2.0 modem with a C3000, but can't find where to add static routes. I have 2. I can't believe this "router" doesn't support static routes or a simple routing protocol such as RIP.

Static Routes#ActiveNameDestinationGateway
 1Yes192-168-0192.168.0.010.120.102.9
 2Yes10-120-10310.120.103.010.120.102.3
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
synoptics
Guide

Re: Static Routes C3000

I sent the C3000 back and replaced it with a WNR3500Lv2 router and a CM400 cable modem. This combination works fine. The WNR3500Lv2 supports static routes and RIP. It would have been nice to have these 2 functions in a single device but that wasn't happening.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

While many Netgear routers support static routes and RIP, unfortunately, it appears that the C3000 does not.

Message 2 of 6
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, it is not supported.

On a residential retail cable gateways, most ISPs do not support RIP/Static Routes.

they do support it on a business accounts as those accounts come with multiple IPs.

Message 3 of 6
synoptics
Guide

How is this any different than the support for static routes/RIP on a router such as a WGR614v9 and an external DOCSIS modem? I don't need the ISP to support the static routes or RIP. I just need support on the LAN side of the router.

I have multiple subnets on my internal network. Many of the more simple devices (e.g webcam) have their default route to the WGR614 from DHCP. The WGR614 has staic routes to those different subnets. If one of those devices needs to communicate to one of these other subnets, the WGR614 will send an ICMP redirtect to the device and forward the pack to the correct router for that subnet. Withiout the default router supporting static routes, this isn't possible. These more simple devices don't have the ability to add host or static routes. This is a major short coming for the C3000 and the other cable modem/router products. This capability has been in your routers for as long as Netgear has been making routers. Why drop support now?

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Technically, it's probably not that difficult to support static routes on this class of products, unless the C3000 doesn't have enough space or memory to support this feature (neither of which are likely).  If Netgear designed their software correctly, features like this share a common implementation that is reusable across a wide range of their products.  

Sadly, the reason static routes aren't supported is almost certainly, $.  Not so much in the sense that adding this feature is too expensive but more so that you'll either have to move up to more expensive, business class products or you'll have to buy a separate modem and router.

It could be argued, however, that it is uncommon to have multiple IP subnets in a home network, so static routes are seldom used.  Unless you have specific reasons to have multiple subnets, you could consider collapsing your network down to a single subnet.

Message 5 of 6
synoptics
Guide

I sent the C3000 back and replaced it with a WNR3500Lv2 router and a CM400 cable modem. This combination works fine. The WNR3500Lv2 supports static routes and RIP. It would have been nice to have these 2 functions in a single device but that wasn't happening.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7