Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Streaming the Spectrum App using the Netgear C7000 - Problem and how I solved it

mer1844
Follower

Streaming the Spectrum App using the Netgear C7000 - Problem and how I solved it

My old Netgear wif-fi router had been acting up for the past few weeks so I decided to pull the trigger and purchase a Netgear C7000 Cable Modem Router.  A few days ago I hooked it up to my Spectrum internet cable and called Spectrum to give them the MAC address off of the router.  Everything seemed to go fine on their end; wi-fi streaming started working, coverage throughout my house is awesome.  My wi-fi download speed using 5g has tripled in most rooms.  

So, last night I came in from running a few errands and flipped on the TV using the Spectrum TV App.  It appeared that there had been an updated to the Spectrum App while I was gone; the Spectrum icon had moved to the end of the list on the home screen, this usually happens when I get an update.  When I clicked on the Spectrum icon the programing connected and the default Spectrum News channel started playing; I hate it when it does that but thats another way I know there has been an update.  When I went to my channel list it had changed big time.  A lot of my channels had moved and a lot were now blocked. My local channels changed from Winston Salem-Greensboro NC channels to Albany NY channels.  A message would pop up and state that I needed to connect to my home network in order to view the blocked channels.  So, I placed a call to Spectrum for assistance.  I explained what had happened and their excuse was that the modem/router isn't one that is compatible with their service.  So, I asked, why does the Spectrum web-site say it is and the box it came in have a big Spectrum logo on it?  After giving the tech all of the router info again he claimed that it was fixed.  So, I hang up reset the Roku player, go back to the Spectrum App and yes my channels were all unlocked but my locals were still Albany NY.  So, I call Spectrum back.  I go thru the same spill again; give them all of the router info and now I'm told that their system won't accept the MAC address.  After about 30 minutes of unplugging and restarting nothing changed.  They could see my channel line up on their end and said everything looked normal.  It was hard for them to grasp that eventhough they say I'm watching my local NC fox channel I was actually watch a Fox channel in Albany NY.  Spectrums final word was that I need to hook up my old Spectrum modem and my worn out Netgear router, because it seemed to work.  NOPE I don't think so.

Here is how I fixed it without their help.  It may help someone else having the same issue(s) while streaming the Spectrum App using a Roku.  On your Roku remote, press the top left button (it is an arrow pointing to the left).  After a second or so the menu comes up showing Live TV-Guide-My Library-On Demand-Video Store.  In the bottom left corner of the screen you should see a gear "cog", click on the cog.  When the next screen comes upscroll down to "About".  This should give you the info about your Spectrum Application/Device/Network.  Look for USERNAME.  If it is blank or does not match your Spectrum Account Login Username that is where the problem is.  Under "About" on the left side of the screen look for "Sign Out".  Click on it and sign out of the app.  When prompted to do so re-enter your Spectrum Account Username and Password.  This will reload the Spectrum account info and your proper channels.  Now everything works great on my end, no thanks to anything Spectrum did on their part.  

I don't know if this will work for those having this issue with the X-Box app but it is worth a try. 

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Streaming the Spectrum App using the Netgear C7000 - Problem and how I solved it

Thanks for letting us know.

Something to post about on Spectrums support forums as well to let any users know about this as well. Spread the word. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Streaming the Spectrum App using the Netgear C7000 - Problem and how I solved it

Thanks for letting us know.

Something to post about on Spectrums support forums as well to let any users know about this as well. Spread the word. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7