Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to view eMTA Event Log causes reset on my CM2050V modem

carlvanwormer
Apprentice

Did you get this information from Netgear, or did it come from some other source?

Thanks,
Carl

Message 26 of 42
ArnoldZiffel
Aspirant

@carlvanwormer wrote:

Did you get this information from Netgear, or did it come from some other source?

Thanks,
Carl

it's unofficial blabber.

he's not wearing a Netgear badge.

Message 27 of 42
ArnoldZiffel
Aspirant

you can trust what I have to say is more official than that.

and I'm a talking pig.

Message 28 of 42
carlvanwormer
Apprentice

With both versions (V2.01.03 and V9.01.01) I've been getting about 800-900Mbps down and 20-24Mbps up speeds.  Things are working most of the time without problems.  My original question still stands . . . what is the status the condition that prompted my original December email from Xfinity about the "intermittent connectivity issues"?

Thanks,
Carl

Message 29 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@carlvanwormer wrote:

With both versions (V2.01.03 and V9.01.01) I've been getting about 800-900Mbps down and 20-24Mbps up speeds.  Things are working most of the time without problems.  My original question still stands . . . what is the status the condition that prompted my original December email from Xfinity about the "intermittent connectivity issues"?

Thanks,
Carl

See post #2 from ChristineT.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/NOTICE-CM2050V-cable-modem-customers-with-Com...

Message 30 of 42
carlvanwormer
Apprentice

I have not gone through this process yet.  I found that things are working (eMTA Event log) without resets after I connected my laptop (running Edge) directly to the modem (see another posting I left).  Now I can get the eMTA log on my main computer using Chrome.  The problem "went away" . . .

Thanks,

Carl

Message 31 of 42
carlvanwormer
Apprentice

I guess my eMTA Event log that I posted didn't show up.  Here is the log I got after I connected directly to my modem with a laptop running Edge and getting the log (no reset).  Then I reconnected the modem to my router and tried again with my desktop PC (running Chrome) as before.  I got the log file without a reset.  This is making me crazy!

Thanks,
Carl

Message 32 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. I'll pass this one to NG for the info. 

@carlvanwormer wrote:

I have not gone through this process yet.  I found that things are working (eMTA Event log) without resets after I connected my laptop (running Edge) directly to the modem (see another posting I left).  Now I can get the eMTA log on my main computer using Chrome.  The problem "went away" . . .

Thanks,

Carl

Message 33 of 42
carlvanwormer
Apprentice

The problem was not a 401 error when trying to log in, it was that my modem would reboot about 10 seconds after I clicked on the eMTA Event log button.

Later,

Carl

Message 34 of 42
carlvanwormer
Apprentice

My previous post seems to have disappeared so I’m trying again.  A lot seems to be missing from the discussion thread.  Am I breaking some rules that cause my posts to be removed? 

Answer to shock reset test:

I started looking around in the local web interface with my CM2050V (HW 1.01, FW v9.01.01).  It had recently been showing eMTA Event Logs without rebooting (yesterday and today), while in the previous week it would always reboot when the eMTA Event Log was requested.  After I selected  the Export button on the Event Log page and the system reset.  Now it reboots every time I request the eMTA Event Log.

Software reset – eMTA Event Log still causes reset

Power-cycle – eMTA Event Log still causes reset

Shock reset (90 second reset with power cycle sequence) – V2.01.03 replaced V9.01.01 – eMTA Event Log still causes reset

Push-button reset – eMTA Event Log still causes reset

920Mbps download, 24Mbps upload with both versions of software (V9 and V2)

Message 35 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@carlvanwormer,

Whatever the cause, it is contagious.  Three days ago when you started this thread, I could view my eMTA event log with no issues.  The firmware was V2.01.03.  Tonight I can use Firefox, Edge, or Chrome on a Windows 10 Pro computer Ethernet connected to my R9000 router, and each time I go to view the eMTA log it reboots the modem.

When the the boot process is complete, the firmware reports V9.01.01.  Firmware V9.01.01 was very much unstable on my modem before they reverted to V2.01.03 last fall.

Did a normal pull the power cord reboot of the modem, cleared the cache on Firefox, and the firmware still reports V9.01.01.

Definitely something amiss somewhere.  Xfinity/Comcast is right in the middle of it for sure.

Will have to motor on and see what develops.

Message 36 of 42
carlvanwormer
Apprentice

Something strange (besides my modem) is going on with this discussion.  It seems that various messages are coming and going.  I now see some messages I created days ago that were not showing yesterday but are showing now.  The message number indicator at the bottom of each message (like Message 40 of 41) seems to be getting re-ordered as the messages disappear and reappear.  Am I breaking some sort of rules for posting on this forum?

Message 37 of 42
patreeek
Tutor

I can confirm that this happens on my modem as well. Viewing the event log sometimes causes the modem to reboot.

Message 38 of 42
Miked2
Apprentice

Me as well!

Is there some way to report issues to netgear, without paying for support?

Message 39 of 42
carlvanwormer
Apprentice

When my system "always" reset when clicking on the eMTA Event Log button, I tried a direct connect to the modem from my laptop.  That connection gave me the eMTA Event Log and after that, connection of my main computer through the router was able to load the eMTA Event Log without resets.  After performing a "shock reset", the software had changed back to the V2.01.01 version and my eMTA Event Log requests started doing the resets again.  My questions to you are "do you like to play" and "are you feeling lucky?"

Later,
Carl

Message 40 of 42
Miked2
Apprentice

I have never felt lucky with NetGear products.  I have had many and they always seem fluky.  I bought this because for voice and high speed comcast data, this was the only choice, then it fell off the compatibility list 😞

Message 41 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@carlvanwormer 

Did a power cord restart of my CM2050V this afternoon.  The restart process took two passes to complete.  When I logged in to the modem, firmware V2.01.01 had been re-installed.  When I try to access the eMTA event log, the modem restarts.  However, firmware V2.01.01 is still in place after the restart.

Have not tried to access the modem directly from a computer without a router in line.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7