Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very low speed on wifi Netgear C3000

Pravin82
Follower

Very low speed on wifi Netgear C3000

I am using 105 mbps on Xfinity internet. On ethernet cable the speed comes close to 100 mbs, but on wifi its hardly 10 mbps. Comcast is saying this is the issue with my modem. Any suggestion on this please?

Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Very low speed on wifi Netgear C3000

Hello Pravin82

You don't happen to have a old 802.11B device connecting to the wireless network because if you do it will drag the whole wifi network down to 11Mbps or slower. If that's not the case I would suggest trying to change your wireless channel to see if that helps some other wifi signals or home appliances could be interfering with your wifi. Hope to hear your feedback.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
RJ007
Aspirant

Hello,

I bhought the modem/router- c3700 few days back and am facing the same issue as stated by pravin. i have a comcast connection with a speed of 50 mbps [which is max] and get the same output via ethernet however via wifi i see only 10 mbps. I have an Ipad air and iphone 6 which are connected. Not sure if this will lead to such a severe degradation in wifi speeds [as i dint see this issue with my previous comcast modem/router which i replaced with c3700]. Please suggest if i am missing something to retain my wifi speed to a reasonable limit.

Message 3 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rj007

have you tried both wireless bands to see if this is the case on both the 5ghz and the 2.4ghz?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 11
mocha_fan
Aspirant

'I am using 105 mbps on Xfinity internet. On ethernet cable the speed comes close to 100 mbs, but on wifi its hardly 10 mbps.'

Exactly the same problem...

Message 5 of 11
RJ007
Aspirant

Hello Darren,

Dont mind my delayed responce. And yes both the bands are enabled [for the wifi].

I contacted support and they suggested i use the channels 11 and 161 for 2.5G and 5G respectively and monitor it for 6 hours however i dint see any difference in the wifi speed even though i observed for few days. It just holds standard at 10mbps- does not go up nor goes down. [updated the same to them 3 days back and waiting for a response!]. Wired connection still provides the best experience [upto 60 mbps which is the max i can get].

I browsed through and saw similar syptoms faced by many others with this modem [c3700]. Is there any thing we could do to get the speed up on the wifi [to the expected limit ~40-50 mbps] or returning back is the only option i have 😞    ?

<< Had very high expectations on Netgear- thought it was The company to provide the best of the Modems>> 

Message 6 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello RJ007

I know you said you had 2 apple devices that are connecting to the wifi but have you tried a speed test on a laptop to see if you get the same results as the apple devices. Im trying to figure out if it may be the router having a issue with communicating with apple devices or if its the wifi.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 11
RJ007
Aspirant

Darren,

I did not try a speed test on my apple devices until now and was performing speed test only on my laptop [~10mbps]. However currently i did the speed tests on both the laptop and iphone multiple times and got the following results:

On WIFI [the speeds were slightly up compared to earlier instances but still low compared to the actual speed expected]-

Iphone: 19 mbps

Laptop [hp/windows]: 14 mbps.

Wired-

Laptop: 59-60 mbps

Message 8 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rj007

I would contact Netgear phone support the Wifi might be defective it may need replaced if its still under warranty.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

DarrenM

Message 9 of 11
RJ007
Aspirant

Hello Darren,

Thank you for the update. I reached out to support and they suggested i return the device.

I have returned the device and will update the post once i test the new one. [Hoping it will fix the issue] 

Message 10 of 11
RJ007
Aspirant

Hello,

The issue is fixed.

I have ordered the replacement however dint get a chance to use it as the speeds jumped up to the expected limits with my current modem [i.e. 50 Mbps in my case and has been constant for over 3 days now] without changing any settings (not sure how that happened but I am happy that the devuce is working as expected now)!!  So i returned the new device.

Thank you Darren for your guidance.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7