Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi calling not working with c7800

Raquelmadron
Tutor

WiFi calling not working with c7800

We have really poor cell service in our house (Verizon) so we rely on wifi calling, especially since I work from home. We got a c7800 modem/router to help with our internet speeds and reliability, but now our WiFi calling feature on our phones no longer work. I tried finding a solution on the board but couldn't find one for this model modem/router. Suggestions?
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Raquelmadron
Tutor

Re: WiFi calling not working with c7800

Update: my Wi-Fi calling stopped working again after about an hour, but started working on my husband's phone. Seemed like only one phone would work at a time. I ended up changing the channel on the router and BAM it's working on all phones now. Guess the channel may have been overloaded. So, if anyone else is having this problem, try Disabling SIP ALG and changing the channel on the router.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 13
Raquelmadron
Tutor

I have an iPhone 8 and my husband has an iPhone X. Both worked with WiFi calling before we got this new modem/router last week. We were using a Motorola MG7540 previously.
Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 13
Raquelmadron
Tutor

Didn't work unfortunately. Any other suggestions?
Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

Are you using any parental controls, disney circe, armor? 

Or Qos? If so, try them disabled. 

Also, try connecting the phones to the 5ghz channels and not 2.4ghz. 

Message 6 of 13
Raquelmadron
Tutor

No parental controls, and I've tried both the 2.4 and 5g network. Neither enable the wifi calling.
Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

Have you tried using it anywhere else other than your home? 

Message 8 of 13
Raquelmadron
Tutor

WiFi calling? Not in the last week since we got our new router, but previously yes. Never had a problem. It was working right up until we switched out the router, then it hasn't worked since.
Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

I realize it hasn't worked since. But try it somewhere else with wifi just to make sure it is a router issue and not related to the cellular provider. 

did you check with your cellular provider to see if anything needs to be changed for their wifi calling to work? 

Message 10 of 13
Raquelmadron
Tutor

Not exactly sure how, but it's working now. I turned off all of the wifi calling features again, updated my emergency address, and it started working. I'd done that previously and it didn't help, but maybe that mixed with the other troubleshooting steps did the trick. Thank you!
Message 11 of 13
Raquelmadron
Tutor

Update: my Wi-Fi calling stopped working again after about an hour, but started working on my husband's phone. Seemed like only one phone would work at a time. I ended up changing the channel on the router and BAM it's working on all phones now. Guess the channel may have been overloaded. So, if anyone else is having this problem, try Disabling SIP ALG and changing the channel on the router.
Message 12 of 13
RonM925
Aspirant

I swapped my Xfinity WiFi Modem/Cable Router with a C7800 Nighthawk and since then my household has had numerous complaints from people on the far end of a call stating that our WiFi calls are choppy or breaking up, we are constantly being asked to repeat ourselves on WiFi calls.  Since we have poor cellular where I live, we depend on the WiFi calls through this C7800 Router and it appears to be a problem with the router settings.  Other routers allow me to turn off or on QoS, but this one doesn't have a setting for that option.  After reading other posts with people having the same problem, I have done a few tweaks with no remedy found. 

The version of the router is V3.01.43

We all have iPhone 10's and are on AT&T's network

This happens only at my location and I have tested WiFi calling on other networks with no issues.

I have tested on both 5G and 2.4ghz from all over my house (close to the router and farther out, but I do not have a big house) and the problem is exhibited everywhere.

I changed the channel numerous times on both 2.4ghz (from auto to numerous channels during my testing) and 5ghz (all channels available) as that was one recommendation from another user experiencing this issue.  

I have disabled SIP ALG as that was also a suggestion from someone who was working with someone else experiencing this same issue.

And yes, numerous reboots have been done.  

Are there any other recommendations before I box this back up and send it back?  

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7