Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xbox Series X paired with CAX 80 slow down/upload speeds: Port forwarding temp fixes

Superspruce
Aspirant

Xbox Series X paired with CAX 80 slow down/upload speeds: Port forwarding temp fixes

I have the nighthawk CAX 80 and I am experiencing slow internet down/up-load speeds (20-30 mbps down/non-measurable up) when use of the provided cat5e cable I to the 2.5gig Ethernet port. I have tried the rebooting process and worked with the NETGEAR tech support to use a previous firmware and only temporarily fixed the slow speeds. With the latest firmware installed, I have logged into the 192.168.1.1 and added the Xbox as the only priority. This works for a very short period of time and I have to log back in, edit the port forwarding rule and re-apply the setting to regain 1000mbps download speed and 50mbps upload speed. This works for a short period of time and I’m unaware of a path forward.
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Xbox Series X paired with CAX 80 slow down/upload speeds: Port forwarding temp fixes

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is this the only device that exhibits this issue? Do other wired PCs experience same problem? 

CAT6 cabling is recommended and recommend using the 1Gb LAN ports for the Xbox as it's only rated at 1Gb LAN speeds and will never use the 2.5Gb speeds on the MG port. 

Port Forwarding is not really needed if you have uPnP enabled. 

Also speed testing thru the xbox is not the most accurate check as the speed test sites xbox consoles connect to may or may not be busy during time of testing. Recommend doing any ethernet speed testing with a wired PC connected to the CAX using Ooklas installable speed test app. 

Message 2 of 5
Superspruce
Aspirant

Re: Xbox Series X paired with CAX 80 slow down/upload speeds: Port forwarding temp fixes

Current cable information :
1. Firmware version- V2.1.5.2
2. Cable firmware version- V1.02.08
3. Hardware version- 1.01

Other connected devices:
1. Sonos bridge
2. Nintendo switch
3. Surround sound receiver

Are other items experiencing the same problem?
1. No, nothing else is experiencing any speed issues.

Understood for the 2.5 gb port. I have it plugged in there for space purposes. The cat 5e allows the 1000 mbps so I thought it would work for the time being. I can certainly change that out to a cat 6 if it would help.

I just deleted the port forwarding service and turned uPnP off since I just learned that I should have it turned off for security reasons but apparently if hackers want to get in, they will do so either way. Since doing this, my speeds are ranging from 10xx to 12xx mbps and I’m unsure why.

Note: Thank you for responding so quickly, the information is very much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You need uPnP feature enabled. uPnP was fixed long ago. I use it all the time when I have my CAX80 and other routers online. Currently using it for all xboxes on my network. 

If speeds are good with other devices including wired PCs, then I wouldn't worry too much about consoles. Never had had the most accurate results historically. I'm on a 1Gb/50Mbps ISP service as well. No complaints.

Try a LAN Port to see if same thing happens as well. 

Message 4 of 5
Superspruce
Aspirant

I spoke too soon… it as reverted back to the 24 mbps
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7