Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xfinity "Enhanced Network Speeds" on CM2050V

patreeek
Tutor

Xfinity "Enhanced Network Speeds" on CM2050V

I spent $300 on this modem, and now I'm reading it does not fully support DOCSIS 3.1. Netgear's website claims upload speeds up to 1 Gbps, which is the theoretical maximum for DOCSIS 3.1. That's the same as the CM3000. However, Netgear's website claims the CM2050V does not support upload speeds above 50 Mbps on Xfinity, but the CM3000 does. This is not what the website displayed when I purchased the modem.

This does not make any sense. I've attached a screenshot of the OFMDA section from my CM2050V's Cable Connection page. It says there are two OFDMA Upstream channels that are not locked/unused. This is for the High/Midsplit stuff, right? These channels are what enables the theoretical 1 Gbps upstream speeds. Yet, I'm reading this device only support DOCSIS 3.0 speeds on Xfinity.

Is there a legitimate fix in the works? Otherwise, I feel like I should be able to make a warranty claim due to defective hardware. It seems this device should support the higher speeds, and I've seen many reports of speeds > 100 Mbps. 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

So when it was initially sold, xfinity wasn't using the next gen upload speeds. 

when they rolled it out, the CM2050V was one of the first supported. 

but about a month or so in, they identified a bug that was causing issues and had to roll it back to older firmware and make it non-next gen speeds. 

Supposedly there's a fix in the works but its not as simple of a fix when it comes to modems (versus routers) and requires several different certifications. 

So its in the works. 

It not defective as its initial rollout didn't include next gen. that was a bonus later. 

Xfinity's reddit page tends to stay pretty current and their mods are pretty responsive on whats being worked on for their next gen devices. 

Message 2 of 5
patreeek
Tutor

I would agree with you, but Netgear has had enough time to release an entirely different modem. It also created a 3XXX line of modems, suggesting those will be the only ones to support DOCSIS 3.1 fully.

After looking at the Technical Specification Sheets for both the CM2050V and CM3000, it appears they have identical DOCSIS 3.1 features:

• 2 OFDM downstream and 2 OFDMA upstream channels (DOCSIS 3.1)
  • 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels (DOCSIS 3.0)

Netgear has removed the specification sheet for the CM2050V, but I keep all of my manuals locally. I'll attach the original specification sheet. There's also some important terminology is the document. For example, Netgear claimed the CM2050V was "built ready for Gigabit (and more) cable Internet service plans available today and future upgrades."

Netgear's silence, along with the addition of a new DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem line (the CM3XXX series), suggests there will not be a fix. I've dealt with technology enough to know that a fix from Netgear is unlikely.

I'm disappointed hearing about the CM2050V's firmware/hardware issues. My area hasn't received the Mid/Highsplit upgrades yet, but it looks like I will need to purchase another modem or go back to renting from Xfinity. With modem rental fees at $15 per month, the CM2050V would need to last 20 months (w/o taxes) before it breaks even. I'm at six months currently and live just outside a major metropolitan area. I believe I'll see the Xfinity network upgrades before the CM2050V starts paying for itself.

Overall, I believe it's in Netgear's best interest to fix the CM2050V or provide existing owners with a reduced cost upgrade path. These Mid/Highsplit upgrades are the next steps toward DOCSIS 4.0, which will require another modem purchase. I will not spend another $300 on a Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Why would I go back to Netgear for a DOCSIS 4.0 modem? The market for cable modem owners can't be that big.

Message 3 of 5
patreeek
Tutor

I'm currently not in one of Xfinity's Mid/Highsplit upgrade areas. I'm doing research about the "enhanced speeds." It appears one of the following scenarios has occurred:

• The CM2050V is not fully compatible with DOCSIS 3.1
  • Xfinity has implemented something outside of the DOCSIS 3.1 standard
  • The CM2050V was never tested because Mid/Highsplit upgrades were not deployed at launch
  • The CM2050V has a hardware issue that cannot be fixed
  • The CM2050V has a firmware bug that might get fixed (very likely not)

I'm concerned because, as you already know, upload speeds on cable networks are atrocious. All DOCSIS 3.1 modems should theoretically support higher upload speeds. Netgear could at least be more transparent on this issue. I feel like they already know if this will be fixed or not.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

A few posts from mod's from xfinity saying things are in the works. 

Netgear acknowledges they have action to update the CM2050V firmware : r/Comcast_Xfinity (reddit.com...

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7