Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: According to Comcast the Netgear CM2000 is not recommended for modems on their network CM2050v i

woody_weaver
Follower

admin interface doesn't support https?

Device is a CM1000v2 cable modem; hardware 2.02 firmware V10.01.07 and seems to be current.

I'm surprised that the admin interface is not TLS enabled, and that there is nothing listening on 443?  Is that intentional, or is have I made a mistake somewhere?  I suppose if the box becomes compromised I can always reset it, but it seems like this would be a basic IoT protection?

--woody

Message 12 of 14
strykerzr350
Guide

According to Comcast the Netgear CM2000 is not recommended for modems on their network CM2050v is

So Comcast recently revamped their my device info page and they said that the CM2000 as of now is not recommended for their network, neither is it approved for Next Gen Speeds. (mid split) I was wondering why this is so? They really dont give any information other than its not supported by them or Netgear anymore. However its sister, the CM2050V is supported for next gen speeds, and recommended.  I was wondering where the responsibility lies for this device to get approved for their network? The list is constantly updated as of now the CM2000 is not recommended.

Even the Arris S33 is supported and recommended.

PDF of supported and unsupported devices.
https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2023.09.25%20Full%20Li...

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: According to Comcast the Netgear CM2000 is not recommended for modems on their network CM2050v i

Thats there "recommended" list.

Its still compatible and supported under the "Full List of Compatible Devices" list.

Message 2 of 14
strykerzr350
Guide

Sadly that means nothing to them, as far as they told me. The compatible and recommended list are completely different things. Until they add it to the recommended list, they wont support it by pushing firmware updates.

Netgear seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to modems I have seen.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats there statement: 

"Below is a full list of compatible devices. However, we suggest using a device marked “recommended” to ensure the
most reliable experience based on performance and compatibility with our Xfinity 10G Network. <Again, this is a suggestion, and doesn't specifically say otherwise. 
Devices not shown on this list are either incompatible with the Xfinity 10G Network or no longer supported by the
device manufacturer."

This is there statement. CM2000 I believe is supported on other ISPs AND by NG. CC/XF have to stand by this statement or change it.

Something you and the ISP have to haggle with unfortunately. I presume nothing NG can do. And beyond forum help here. 

Message 4 of 14
strykerzr350
Guide

If it does not get added to the recommended list Netgear will have to alter the packaging for the modem. They can also probably do something about it as well, cause it will hurt their sales.

Someone is going to get awfully confused when they buy this modem and expect support for the device from the ISP.

This will make to where they will blame your modem if you are not getting said speeds.

There is something fishy going on with Netgear, Cable Labs, or Comcast to not get this modem added to the recommended list.

All things considered, the new device list is literal, meaning its supported or its not. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Something NG themselves and the ISP have to work out. If the ISP isn't going by what they put in the list, this seem on the ISP. 

Also might some agents not really wanting to do there job or a good job and get whats ON there list, recommended or in the compatible list, online if users have the CM2000. 

The only thing different between the CM2000 and the 2050 is that the 2050 has RJ11 phone support. Nothing different otherwise. Not sure why the ISP would not have the CM2000 on for those customers who don't wan't phone service thru the ISP. But of course, lets push customers so they spend more money. Never have liked CC/XF and glad there not in my region. Would rather have dial up if they were the only ISP available. 

Good Luck man. 

Message 6 of 14
strykerzr350
Guide

I have Sparklight in a neighboring town not far from me, they have a clean plant and they seem better.

I brought that up about the CM2050V and CM2000 being the same thing on DSL Reports just the ladder being an EMTA.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33746291-Equip-Mid-Split-Enabled-Device-List-Has-Been-Updated-9-27...

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I have SL here. Always have been good and fair over the years. Little problems. 

When i got my CM2000, had zero problems getting it connected. Though this ISP is only at 1Gb. Was told if and when they can get ride of TV services, speeds would be seen past 1Gb. But 1Gb has been good for me. 

Message 8 of 14
Kitsap
Master

Like @FURRYe38 says, the list belongs to Comcast.  To even the casual observer, it is a work in progress.  The development has definitely not been linear.  It has zigged, zagged, and double backed in the few versions that have been released.  I would expect it to continue to do so for some time.

If your Comcast area is one that has been upgraded, I can understand your being anxious to know.  If not, just wait as there will be a new list next month or sooner.

Message 9 of 14
Topology
Virtuoso

The absence of the NETGEAR CM2000 from the Xfinity list of recommended devices for the Next Gen Speed Tier may simply be a temporary situation, while Xfinity continues to rollout its multi-gig deployment in more Next Generation markets.  This is a work-in-progress....

Message 10 of 14
Dumaine
Tutor

IMO, I think that people ( no offense to anyone) are just jumping the gun because their "owned" device has not made the list yet. I would suspect that this whole process takes time and will all be sorted out in the near future!!

Message 11 of 14
strykerzr350
Guide

Since Netgear never responds to tech support here, I think I will open a ticket with them to see where testing is.

From what I hear, they have to play ball with the ISPs to get their modems certified for next gen speed tiers.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how that turns out. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7