Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: eero 6 router question

corvairbob
Tutor

eero 6 router question

ok i have comcast and i now have frontier fiber at the pole and ready to install when i order it.

they provide a router called the amazon eero 6 router. so how will that mate up with my house network? can i just plug that into my netgear hub that sets buy my netgear c3700 router modem and have everything work on my network yet ok?

i figure for phone and my pcs that are using wifi they will hook up to the eero 6 router but i have netgear extenders that connect to that c3700 router side of that combo unit for my back garage cameras and furnace and to my phone app called ewelink so i can remotely control those devices. i really do not want to have to figure out how to reconnect those to a new router, unless the eero 6 will just connect to them also i port forward the netgear so i can see my cameras when i'm away from home. i will have to figure that out again with the eero 6 router if it allow me to get into the settings. thanks

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

1. The Eero 6 is much more capable than the C3700. by a long ways. 

2. what extenders do you have? It might make more sense to pickup a few eero satellites versus using the ones you have 

Message 2 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i did see them on ebay for a few $ so after i get the system installed if they only give me 1 eero 6 router i will do just that and get some more if needed. after i asked that question i found a few YT telling about the eero 6 over the modems/routers.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any brand that has WiFi 6 will out perform the gateway modem. Even a NG MK60, 70 or 80 series will. 

Message 4 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

can anyone tell me if i can get these eero 6 routers say from ebay or amazon and have them connect to the one i get from frontier? i do not yet know just how many frontier will leave when they do the install on march 11 2024. i figure at least one but if they do leave 3 as most come in a group of 3 that may be plenty for me. but if they only leave 1 can i get some more myself and connect them?  

thanks

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

I don't have eero so you might have better luck on their forums. but from my readings, the devices can function as either a router or a satellite. You'd just want to ensure you get one that is compatible. So I'd wait to see what version and how many you get from frontier before buying anything. 

Message 6 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks everyone for the help. i tried the ewelink forums and so far no one has replied. but the eero support did tell me the ewelink switches should connect up to the eero 6 just fine. so in a couple of weeks we will find out for sure.  i will let you all know if they do and if not i will try to connect them again to the netgear combo unit and see if that connects to the eero 6 router in router mode and work. the eero 6 support thinks the netgear router will pair up with the eero 6 router if i plug the eero 6 into that router. so that the netgear extender will be seen by the netgear router and then transfer thru the lan to the eero 6 and then wifi to my phone. but again i will soon find out when they connect the fiber to my home in a few weeks. thanks

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

The C3700 is a cable modem/router. it won't work with the fibre. 

Message 8 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

that is strange because the frontier video show connecting the cable modem router unit to the eero 6 and going with that. plus i did find 2 YT vides that showed connecting the eero 6 to the back of the router modem and going with it. and eero 6 website seems to think it will connect. however the only way i will know for sure is when the install guy gets here and tells me it will not work, but the eero 6 website did say if the netgear will not work not to worry the eero 6 units will just replace that anyway. they also said if frontier only gives me 1 unit that i can amazon or ebay more and they will mesh just fine.

i'm hoping the netgear will work with the eero 6 so i do not have to reset up my cameras they are a pain to set up and i have 5 nvrs to reset if the eero 6 will not let me keep the netgear in the loop.  i have a hub where the netgear combo is now and the combo is connected to that hub and everything works good so i hope the eero 6 will just plug into that hub and i can just connect the phone to the eero 6 and it will mesh into the network and let me see the cameras, we will soon find out.

i will find out march11 or so when they stop out and install the modem to their system and set me up at least 1 eero 6 router. i will let you know how it all goes. frontier said to download the app but i will wait for the install to do that as it takes a few minutes and the install may want to help with it to get it setup. thanks

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Might configure the NG gateway modem into modem only mode for your wifi router system:

https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only

Message 10 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

yes i figured i may need to do that, being it will not be connected to cable anymore we will be turning comcast cable off. to help keep the cable bill lowered i had to combine tv and internet. with 10 tv stations that i get on y antennas now.

thanks

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

And if you get a different ISP other than cable, then you can't use this model modem then. You'll need to use what ever platform the ISP is requiring to be used. 

Message 12 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

so far frontier offers no cable tv in our area, just internet.  i will not be going to another isp for internet on the netgear combo unit it should stay the same as i have it set to static so when i unplug the cable for comcast it should stay the same. i have tested that already and it did not change.  i know the eero 6 will have a new isp address. i guess i  will find out soon thanks.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Also contact EERO for help and information support regarding there product as well. 

Good Luck.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7