× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Configuring a MR6150 as a secondary internet modem on an RBR750

Eldrod
Tutor

Configuring a MR6150 as a secondary internet modem on an RBR750

I just got an MR6150 M6 to provide backup or secondary internet access for my Orbi WiFi network. I currently have internet access via my CM1000 modem.  I checked with Sales before purchasing the M6 and was assured I could plug both into the RBR750 to get access from either one.

I have activated the M6 and it works well, but when I connect it to the Orbi, I cannot see any indication that the M6 link is available.  I have tried these steps:

1. Put the M6 in Home mode which activated the Ethernet port.

2. Turned on IP Passthru -- didn't do anything except turn off the M6 WiFi.

3. Changed the M6 base address to 192.168.0.1 (the Orbi was already 192.168.1.1).

4. Set the WAN Preference on the Orbi to WAN Aggregation and rebooted, but got an error message that said "Error: Unable to establish WAN aggregation".

5. Turned on the M6 Offload to Ethernet function, but all that did was make the M6 try to use the Orbi's Internet connection (the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do). 

6. Tried another RJ45 cable.

7. Called Netgear support who said the M6 was configured correctly, but the config on the Orbi needed to be changed.

8. Got forwarded to Orbi support who told me that although the RBR750  says "link aggregation" on the two ports and has that as an option on the admin panel, the RBR750 does NOT actually support WAN aggregation and that I needed to replace the 750 with an 850 model.

Has anyone gotten this to work?  I was told that lots of Netgear users do this, but there's nothing I can find to document the process, so I'm at a loss for what else to try.  I'd like to know if I really need to buy more hardware or have I just missed a step somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

5G WiFi 6 Mobile Router (MR6150) AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (RBK752) 

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Eldrod
Tutor

Re: Configuring a MR6150 as a secondary internet modem on an RBR750

Resolved.

I got this to work by abandoning the idea of using WAN aggregation and just connected the M6 and CM1000 Ethernet connections to a TP-Link ER605 with load balancing and failover.  New config gives me just what I was looking for.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Eldrod
Tutor

Re: Configuring a MR6150 as a secondary internet modem on an RBR750

Resolved.

I got this to work by abandoning the idea of using WAN aggregation and just connected the M6 and CM1000 Ethernet connections to a TP-Link ER605 with load balancing and failover.  New config gives me just what I was looking for.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7