× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LM1200 dropping off local network

Fiddlin
Tutor

LM1200 dropping off local network

I have given up on bridge mode working with verizon for now.  However, in router mode, my LM1200 drops its local network connection randomly, but between 2 and 8 times per hour.  Even more strange, it loses its connection to different computers at different times while the computers themselves never lose connection to eachother.

It does not appear to be losing its cell connection because the verizon IP stays the same and the session data counter does not reset.

I have tried two different netgear switches, a 10/100 and a gigabit but there was no change in behavior.  I tried swapping ethernet cables which also made no difference.

How can this thing be losing packets to only one device at a time while all the other devices are working perfectly?

If diagnostics are enabled, how do you check its diagnostic information?  Or is that for something besides troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Fiddlin'

Message 1 of 5
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: LM1200 dropping off local network

Can you try continuous PINGs on the clients to see whether the clients will lose connectivity at different times?

Thanks

Message 2 of 5
Fiddlin
Tutor

That is exactly how I determined that they were losing connections at different times rather than all at the same time.  I had pings running between the two PC's as well as from each PC to the LM1200.  The LM1200 would drop between 5 and 15 pings from just one computer at a time, while the two computers never lost any pings to eachother.

Message 3 of 5
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Just a quick question, did you PING 192.168.1.1 or you PING an external IP address? Can try to PING 8.8.8.8 and www.google.com and see whether they make any differences?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
Fiddlin
Tutor

The pings were all on the local side of the LM1200.  No point trying an external address when the connection from the computer to the LM1200 is dropping.

Since I needed to troubleshoot, here is how I set up my environment:

PC-A 10.10.20.11

pfSense firewall 10.10.20.1 (LAN1) and 192.168.5.250 (WAN)

PC-B 192.168.5.2

LM1200 192.168.5.1 (of course)

I had to put a netgear switch between the firewall and LM1200 because the LM1200 would not talk when plugged straight into the pfSense network jack.  That switch is also where PC-B is connected.  PC-A and the 10.10.20.x side of the firewall are plugged into a Cisco 3560 switch.  I would have been using the Cisco on a different VLAN instead of the netgear switch, but the LM1200 also won't talk with the Cisco switch.  But those are side issues right now.

PC-A pinging LM1200 will lose between 5 and 15 pings while PC-B continues to ping the LM1200 as well as PC-A.  The inverse also happens where PC-B loses 5 to 15 pings to the LM1200 while still pinging PC-A.

While troubleshooting the Bridge-mode/Verizon problem, I set the LM1200 to IPv4 only and set all static addresses for the 192.168.5.x network.  I have not changed that since switching to router mode.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7