× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

M1 disconnects 4G dozens of times a day. needs factory reset to reconnect

emilyd1994
Aspirant

M1 disconnects 4G dozens of times a day. needs factory reset to reconnect

I have a Netgear nighthawk M1, MR1100 (Telstra), that drops the connection upwards of 50 times a day. there is no fix I know of, no way to tell it to reconnect. the device has to be factory reset, then the apns added again, and the device will only then reconnect. this device has been fine for 2 years. a week ago it started having this issue. if rebooted, it locks up. forcing me to press the reset pin. 

emilyd1994_0-1673745075373.png

is there some way I can force it to reconnect? is there anything I can do about this? its still connected to the network and still gets text messages but the data is disconnected. i see that on other models you just press the reconnect button but the M1 lacks that option entirely. forcing a reset. since a reboot for some reason locks the device up entirely in some weird state with a blank purple screen

wifi is set to never sleep. tethering and eth too. those were the official suggested fixes to this. but they do not help. the only other thing that was suggested was setting the wifi range to long and that did not fix it. 

Message 1 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Re: M1 disconnects 4G dozens of times a day. needs factory reset to reconnect

@emilyd1994 wrote:

I have a Netgear nighthawk M1, MR1100 (Telstra), that drops the connection upwards of 50 times a day. there is no fix I know of, no way to tell it to reconnect. the device has to be factory reset, then the apns added again, and the device will only then reconnect. this device has been fine for 2 years. a week ago it started having this issue. if rebooted, it locks up. forcing me to press the reset pin. 

is there some way I can force it to reconnect? is there anything I can do about this? its still connected to the network and still gets text messages but the data is disconnected. i see that on other models you just press the reconnect button but the M1 lacks that option entirely. forcing a reset. since a reboot for some reason locks the device up entirely in some weird state with a blank purple screen

wifi is set to never sleep. tethering and eth too. those were the official suggested fixes to this. but they do not help. the only other thing that was suggested was setting the wifi range to long and that did not fix it. 

You will get more responses and better answers if you post in the community specifically set up for your type of hardware.

Try here:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cell-Service-Mobile-Hotspot/bd-p/aircard

Most likely a moderator will move your post.

Message 2 of 5
emilyd1994
Aspirant

i did consider it, but there are about 5 similar posts. Ranging from 2017 through a few days ago, that never got a response of any kind. if my chat with Netgear support is correct, there is no fix. There is no answer. they did not include the ability for these devices to reconnect to a network, and they never intended to fix that. the fix is to replace the device because it's not possible to fix the problem. once it disconnects, it MUST be factory reset to enable it to reconnect again. 

I'm also very frustrated because I've had 14 disconnects today. meaning 14 factory resets, 14 times setting it up again. 14 times I've had to go through this. at least netgear was nice enough to tell me that the entire aircard line has the exact same issue. meaning every netgear device will have the same problem here. forcing me to look at other brands. 

what would be great is if they could tell me why it disconnects. that would at least give me a way to work through this till the new modem gets here (back ordered till feb 20 at this point and about 6 times the price of an m5 -_- ) 

Message 3 of 5
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@emilyd1994 wrote:

You mean even rebooting the device will not make the data connection set up again? Did you try to pull the battery and put it back in again?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
emilyd1994
Aspirant

No it won't. the device after a battery out battery in reboot boots up to " no data connection" with a blank purple screen but if I access 192.168.1.1 it has 5 bars of 4g and stays in that state no matter how many times you remove the battery and stick it back in and allow it to reboot. Only a hard wipe works. Because it's decided for some reason to disconnect the network. As the rep made clear this isn't fixable. Every netgear device is unable to reconnect. Because they never actually programmed a reconnect button in. The device remains in the last state because it's waiting for user input.

Once the device disconnects it waits to be told to reconnect.

However it's not possible to tell it to reconnect. As these modems don't have code for that.

Leaving it locked in a broken state till it's wiped.

I even got a new plan and new sim and the same problem. My new provider has agreed with netgear on this being a common netgear flaw. One they have had extensive issues with across the aircard line. In fact the ac800s they sent new from the box was not even on for 5 minutes and dropped into the locked state.

I also have a note 10 and if it's disconnected for some reason it gives me the "reconnect to mobile data" yes/no prompt. For whatever reason netgear devices have upwards of 10 disconnects a day. Sometimes 30. Phones peak at one maybe 2 a year.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7