× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

M2 connection

jstvj1
Aspirant

M2 connection

Hi
I'm trying to connect my M2 via ethernet cable to another router and/or powered switch to connect about three devices (including an ip camera) but it won't work. Is there a setting I need to enable or change please?
Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 1 of 5

Re: M2 connection

@jstvj1 wrote:
Hi
I'm trying to connect my M2 via ethernet cable to another router and/or powered switch to connect about three devices (including an ip camera) but it won't work. Is there a setting I need to enable or change please?

This is a case of piling router on router. That can cause chaos.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In the case of the M2 (probably the MR2100), the best option may depend on this router. It might work to put that in access point  mode.

Or someone here may have worked out how to "bridge" the MR2100.

Message 2 of 5
jstvj1
Aspirant

Many thanks for your helpful reply but it's all a bit too technical for my small brain..🥺
By M2 I did mean MR2100.
Message 3 of 5

Sorry about that.

Your MR2100 is a modem/router that manages all the traffic on your local network. A bit like a traffic cop.

If you add another router, then you end up with two traffic cops. Stand back and watch everything grind to a halt.

One way around that is to turn off the router bit of one of those devices. Your MR2100 or the second one you mentioned.

Some modem/routers have a simple built-in setting that does the job for you. (It often goes under the label "bridge mode".) Then your second router plays the good cop role.

I can't see an easy way to do that on the MR2100.

Another way to keep the traffic flowing is to turn off the router bit of the second router and plug it into the first modem/router. Your MR2100, which then becomes the good cop.

Then you can use the second router as what they call a wireless access point (AP). Most of the routers I have played with make it easy to turn off the router bit of the second router

It really isn't that complicated. Unfortunately, it can be impossible to work out what is going without a little bit of head scratching.

Maybe there's a neighbourhood nerd who likes playing with these things.

Message 4 of 5
jstvj1
Aspirant

Wow Michael, thank you very much for your very helpful explanation which gives me a clue as to what to look for. Thank you again 👌
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7