× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR100 AT&T Nighthawk Battery is fully charged please remove power.

N4KHQ
Aspirant

MR100 AT&T Nighthawk Battery is fully charged please remove power.

I am guessing my nighthawk wants me to disconnect the AC charger when battery is fully charged to keep from overchaging the battery. None of the users I know ever see the message. They never login to the nighthawk or look at the round screen. I am really impressed the nighthawk except for this one feature. Why is not the nighthawk smart enough to stop charging the battery when the battery reaches full charge? 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you always leave the Nighthawk plugged into power, purchase a QuickCharge 2.0 compatible charger and use that with the battery removed. If you use the Nighthawk in a fixed location the battery only needs to be installed when you want to install a firmware update.

Message 2 of 5
N4KHQ
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I bought an quick charger 3.0 but decided to plug the AC adaptor into a timmer. I had to install the nighthawk about 500 yards from my house the get a vew of the cell tower 4.9 miles from my house. I use a pair of UBNT Ubiquiti M9 AirMax P2P wireless bridge to get the signal to my house. Too much hassel for usdates to remove the battery. It is impossible to get the timmer set perfectly because use determines the amount of charging time needed. I have not turned Wifi off but it obvious if Wifi is not connected, it uses less power.  The timer is doing pretty good. Other users I know have been running with the battery and AC charger 24/7 for 6 months to a year with out issue. I think Netgear should stop charging automaticly or remove the message if it is not needed. I don't think the manual says anything about removing power. 

Message 3 of 5
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

I see that "nuisance" message about removing the charger. I suspect it's just that -- aka a courtesy reminder.  I sincerely doubt Netgear would be continuously trying to charge a Li-Ion battery.  The safety concerns of doing so are well established, I doubt it would pass UL and/or CE approvals if they were.  But it would be nice to get confirmation from Netgear and/or feedback in the firmware on the charging current/voltage for example.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 4 of 5
N4KHQ
Aspirant

I agree totally, I think you can destroy a lithium battery in a mattery of hours by over charging even if it don't catch on fire. I guess it could have to do with a small about of power savings.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series