× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR1100 - can it be extended to accept more than 20 devices?

Brownb01
Aspirant

MR1100 - can it be extended to accept more than 20 devices?

Hello - using this at a second home that is somewhat remote. I have several cameras, home security....etc. I need to connect more than 20 devices. Is there a way to do so? I setup another router on the other side of this - but of course that’s not s very good option with the double nat-ing...etc.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Brownb01, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

You should be able to connect more than 20 devices. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

I don't have my MR1100 in front of me, but I believe the DHCP server in the MR1100 might be limited to a range of 20 IP's.  You can set where this range begins, but I forget if you can increase it past 20 IP's.  Perhaps you can -- as Blanca indicated.

You could certainly use static IP's for some devices.  Or use a different DHCP server -- application or home router.  No need to double NAT.  Just set the IP address of the MR1100 to be in the static range of the LAN side of your router.  Then configure your router / DHCP server to point to the MR1100 as the "gateway".  (of course most home routers don't let you configure the DHCP lease parameters) so you may have to use a software DHCP server.

That said, double NATing can work fine for most devices.  Only devices that open up tunnelling sessions tend to have issues.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7