× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 with No Battery and USB Drive

Downunder55
Aspirant

MR1100 with No Battery and USB Drive

I have just purchased a preloved MR1100-1TLAUS -  V1 hardware

It is currently running NTG9X5OC_10.25.01.01

It runs multiple network sims successfully.

Have been able to remove the battery and install a 32G USB thumb and stream movies from it.

If I try that with an USB Drive, it momentarily get recognised by MYMEDIA, but when attempting to play a movie it seems to just run out of power and shuts down. Tried a 2.4A supply and still happens.

The positive is that I may be able to use a USB SSD drive, that will likely draw less power and may work .... Has anyone tried this ?

My second question is ......if I do a firmware upgrade to as late as I can get running, does this firmware still support USB with no battery or is it blocked in a later firmware release ?

Regards Downunder55

Message 1 of 3
Downunder55
Aspirant

Re: MR1100 with No Battery and USB Drive

Update:

A bit of Googling suggests that an External SSD may in fact need additional peak power to the 2.5" drive.

A USB 3.0 Dual Power Cable, 2 x Type A to Micro-B might be the answer to supplement some additional power, will pick one up tomorrow.

Untitled.jpg

Message 2 of 3
Downunder55
Aspirant

Re: MR1100 with No Battery and USB Drive

Unfortunately that supplementary power cable didn't work, still allows access to the drive and media, but as soon as you start playing media it reboots.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7