× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR6150 firmware 12.01.29.00 review Glorified MR1100 LTE

chrodroid
Guide

MR6150 firmware 12.01.29.00 review Glorified MR1100 LTE

For the past 5 days I have been reviewing the upcoming  MR6150 12.01.29.00 firmware (not sure if this is final or beta) With T mobile service The MR6150 never connect to 5G service in fact it keep falling into LTE and speed barely reach 100. This happens in 3 different cities and states.basically it becomes an overprice MR 1100.

Current firmware 10.04.22.00 it will connect to 5g service and the speed range between 300-500 with the same sim card from T-mobile. again this is tested in 3 different cities and states. It does have quirk the modem wont stay on over 2 days. it will either turn off or rebooting. So make sure you have battery inside.

So if you like the speed AVOID the update until they fix it, cause you have no recourse to downgrade . But if you want stability BUY MR1100 instead which is known for stability and affordability 🙂 

Message 1 of 15
anjesh
Tutor

Hey, reaching out

By any chance do you have the 10.04.22.00 firmware file downloaded for the mr6150.

Accidentally updated and lost the 5gNR functionality, 12.01.31.00 feels like a downgrade on the software update

Message 2 of 15

I am also looking for the old firmware 10.04.22.00
Netgear T1, T2, and T3 refuse to send me a copy.
Netgear refuses to allow me to choose what software runs
after every update I am only allowed to stay on the latest version 
even if that update results in total system failure. 

Message 3 of 15
normanh747
Aspirant

has anyone been able to download the previous firmware version? I'm in the same boat as you guys are.

Message 4 of 15
anjesh
Tutor

Spoiler

no update from netgear, they are blatantly ignoring this issue

Message 5 of 15

They have called me offered new unit and tried everything they can on their end.

I no longer use netgear products. I will not purchase anymore netgear products. I will advise all local business partners when they replace interfaces and switches to purchase Trendnet, Linksys, Cudi, and HP products. I advise everyone that feels this issue has been mishandled by netgear to do the same. Bye netgear. That is the BEST solution.
Message 6 of 15
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@chrodroid wrote:

For the past 5 days I have been reviewing the upcoming  MR6150 12.01.29.00 firmware (not sure if this is final or beta) With T mobile service The MR6150 never connect to 5G service in fact it keep falling into LTE and speed barely reach 100. This happens in 3 different cities and states.basically it becomes an overprice MR 1100.

Current firmware 10.04.22.00 it will connect to 5g service and the speed range between 300-500 with the same sim card from T-mobile. again this is tested in 3 different cities and states. It does have quirk the modem wont stay on over 2 days. it will either turn off or rebooting. So make sure you have battery inside.

So if you like the speed AVOID the update until they fix it, cause you have no recourse to downgrade . But if you want stability BUY MR1100 instead which is known for stability and affordability 🙂 

Could you please send me the model.json file when using T-Mobile SIM?

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

You can email me at jopeng@yahoo.com with your community ID.

Thanks

John

Message 7 of 15
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Anyone in this thread, please do the following if you have issues with your MR6150 on T-Mobile.

Could you please send me the model.json file when using T-Mobile SIM?

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

You can email me at jopeng@yahoo.com with your community ID.

Thanks

John

Message 8 of 15

Unfortunately I am still waiting on vendor support to send over the original firmware file that came with my purchased device. As soon as I receive the .spk file I and many others have requested, I will send a copy of my .json file.

I personally see no reason netgear cant boot up two different devices with different firmware or look at their raw code libraries to determine a fix.

No idea why it falls on the customers to work on the failed update that got rolled out.

Message 9 of 15
anjesh
Tutor

from what i've read on other forums, this update "fuzzed" (my understanding and has encrypted/locked down) the device and this upgrade is a one way change. there is no option to downgrade completely to the old firmware.

Message 10 of 15
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

With every release, our goal is to improve the device stability, address the security issues, fixed the performance and functional issues and also introduce new features. If there are any new issues introduced, we would like to work with the customers to resolve them, instead of rolling back to the old releases.

If you have any suggestions or find any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Thanks

Message 11 of 15
anjesh
Tutor

The new versions has locked down the AT modem commands, would like thoses back

specifically

AT!OPENMEP?
AT!OPENMEP?
ERROR

Message 12 of 15
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

The AT command is disabled on purpose to prevent the users to hack the device. This is part of the security enhancement.

Thanks

Message 13 of 15

Wow straight from the vendors themselves. Netgear intentionally retains ownership and operation rights over sold devices. Customers do not own anything when purchasing netgear your device is just a ticket to become a member of the netgear engineered and netgear controlled intranet system. That is scary. Are there data privacy tools/dnsleak tools engineered into the hardware too? I am worried now that control and owbership are no longer purchaseable options. Literally. Ownership is not an option. Purchased products are good for life but not owned by the purchasee and not forever supported or endorsed by netgear support and not repairable under emergency / crisis circumstances without DIRECT netgear engineered intervention. End users buying netgear are tied to netgear support for all issues for life with no hope of easily resolving issues on their own.
Message 14 of 15
anjesh
Tutor

I can give them that for blocking openmep, 2 things i can think of

1. protecting source code

2. to prevent unauthorized "hack/access" to system that could help hackers find vulnerability in the system putting other users at risk, such as putting backdoor access when reselling the device

This one thing I dont like, forced firmware update without user consent, please address this

There is no option to disable firmware updates on MR1100. You will be notified that there is an update available and will be given an opportunity to update the firmware 3 times. If after the 3rd time the firmware is not updated then MR1100 will update the firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cell-Service-Mobile-Hotspot/MR1100-100EUS-stop-updates/m-p/1849188#...

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7