× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

NIghthawk M6 Pro Antenna

bobupthecreek
Follower

NIghthawk M6 Pro Antenna

I use my Nighthawk M6 Pro to provide a wifi network to connect three Wyze v3 cameras.  I've had recurring problems with loss or weakness of the wifi network.  I'd like to try an external antenna.  Netgear promotes an antenna that seems to be for a 5g network.  The Wyze cameras only operate on a 2.4g network.  It's been recommended that I mount an external antenna to my roof.  Any recommendations for an antenna?    

Message 1 of 4
JT240Z
Luminary

Re: NIghthawk M6 Pro Antenna

The external antennas for the M6 are only for the cellular side.  They have no impact on the Wi-Fi side of things.  The 5G you're referencing is the cellular 5G network.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

A couple issues here. 

1. The external antennas for the M6 are for your cellular service, not the wifi. So adding an external antenna isn't going to help the wifi signal in the home

2. Hotspots aren't great for wifi coverage. Its because they're designed to roam and the FCC has set restrictions on broadcast power for roaming devices to prevent interference while roaming. Its why companies like Verizon/Tmobile with home 5G services have an actual router that has a sim card/esim versus just using one of their hotspots. 

3. Because of #2, I'd recommend just picking up a router or mesh system. You can connect it to the M6 and put the M6 in passthrough mode or the new system in Access Point mode. Then you'll get better wifi signal to your devices in the home versus using a lower wifi powered hotspot. 

Message 3 of 4
JT240Z
Luminary

Just in addition, the M6 Pro does have a performance mode that allows for a stronger Wi-Fi signal.  In order to use performance mode, the device needs to be powered up using the supplied charger and the internal battery needs to be removed.  This allows you to select performance mode and will provide higher output power to the Wi-Fi as it is now no longer considered a mobile hotspot.  It's how Netgear gets around the FCC requirements for hotspot devices.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7