× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear 810S cannot connect to printer

rapshar
Aspirant

Netgear 810S cannot connect to printer

I have just received this device and set it up on my computer - it is added to the network as well as my HP Envy 5640 wireless printer and shows both devices in the main wifi section but when I try to print it cannot see my printer on the network.  Can you please help me as Telstra technical team were unable to help me with a solution.  I can access the internet and print on my printer using the Eprint function on my printer but I cannot print anything from my computer to the printer. Help please???

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
rapshar
Aspirant

Thanks - I have solved the problem by purchasing the Netgear Aircard Smart cradle and it now connects like it is meant to.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
Juggernaught
Aspirant

Hey Rapshar. Have you tried printing with the hotspot out of the cradle (assuming you have a mobile hotspot device like Telstra AdvanceII etc)? You may need to adjust your cradle settings via the "Genie" web interface found by opening up the web browser and typing: http://m.home/index.html

Check to see if your SSID is broadcasting or not from your cradle. You may need to go through the wizard on your printer to pick up the correct SSID (when your hotspot is in the cradle). You may also have issue with what band your WiFi is working on (either 2.4 or 5Ghz). Many printers only operate on 2.4Ghz settings, so if your 810s is set to only broadcast an SSID on the 5Ghz, then your printer might see it, but cannot communicate with it.

Try checking your SSID settings via the web interface and see if it's the same as what your printer sees.

Message 2 of 11
rapshar
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for your help.  Device didn't come with a cradle (4GX Advanced III) and the SSID is the same on printer as device and the computer and WiFi band is set to 2.4ghz on auto.

Message 3 of 11
Juggernaught
Aspirant

Hey Rapshar. What computer are you using (operating system etc.)? 

Message 4 of 11
rapshar
Aspirant

Windows 10

Message 5 of 11
Juggernaught
Aspirant

OK, so maybe we need to start from scratch.

1.On Windows PC, go to: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center

2. See if the Advance III is visible to the network. If it is, it should look something like this:

Netgear Control Panel Network.JPG

3. Follow the instructions on the picture above (ie. If your Network name is not visible (SSID), then you need to reset the Advance III and try again). Ensure that you are nto trying to connect your HP printer to the "Guest" account SSID if you have the Guest account activated.

4. If you can see your SSID, but cannot connect to it, change the password on the Netgear for the WiFi access and retry to connect your printer & PC by locating the name of your network under Network Settings. I have a Brother Printer, and I used it's wizard (on the printer itself) to locate the SSID and then I put into it the password. Note: If you have changed the password, you will need to re-input the password into the printer's network discovery wizard so that it can connect. Alternatively, you can input the printer SSID and Password into the network discovery tool on your printer without having to go through the wizard. I would suggest you try the wizard first before going manual. Here I am assuming the HP printer has a network discovery wizard, if it does not, then look through the printer's menu and try to do it manually. Only do this AFTER you have rest your ADVANCED III and have custom set your password. All the details for geting into the Web UI for changing the Adv II settings can be found by installing the Netgear Genie app and running that(), or by using the Web UI here in your browser: http://m.home/index.html

Try the above steps Rapshar...I'm not sure of your level of understanding, so please forgive me if this seems like "Baby Stuff".

Message 6 of 11
ybowey
Aspirant

Hi

i am having the same problems of connecting my printer to the aircard 810s, except i am running Windows 7 Pro.  The printer wizard sees the network and is connected to the aircard, but i can't see the printer from the computer.  What do i need to do to fix this?

Message 7 of 11
Juggernaught
Aspirant

Hey ybowey

Have you turned on "network discovery" on your Win 7 Pro?

Go here and try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

This would also apply to Win 10...if you have not enabled network discovery, the PC may not see the printer.

Message 8 of 11
Juggernaught
Aspirant

Hey Rapshar

Try the suggestion I made above re: Network Discovery Tool. You need to have it turned on in order to see other devices.

Message 9 of 11
NigelSH
Aspirant

I have just updated from a Sierra dongle with Netcomm Router to a NetGear 810s Aircard Advanced III with a Netgear cradle DC112A.

Nothing advanced about ths product! my HP Envy 100 printer would no longer connect via wireless. Tryied all the settings I could think off before checking Telstra crowd support only to find I have struck what is obviously a know bug in the product and still not fixed.

It made no difference to try the Advanced III on its own or the cradle on its own or both as a pair. I could connect both my Mac's, an iPhone and Samsung phone but no luck with the HP Printer. I do note on Telstra Crowd support that the cradle has worked for some printer issues but did not work for my HP printer.

I am a communications Engineer by trade, trained with British Telecom, with over 40 years experience inculding 8 years with an Australia  modem company as thier Technical Support Manager. If they had had this product on the market it would have received a full recall until fixed.

Luckily for me I also have an Apple Time Machine which is also an Airport router so I was able to connect this via ethernet to the Netgear cradle I then turned off the Netgear SSID then turned on the Time Machine WiFi and my printer is now back and looks like a network hard wired ethernet device via the Time Machine.

Netgear really need to fix the Aircard Advanced II, it has a major bug and anyone hitting this problem would have every rigt to demand their money back.

Message 10 of 11
rapshar
Aspirant

Thanks - I have solved the problem by purchasing the Netgear Aircard Smart cradle and it now connects like it is meant to.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7