× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk M5 MR5200 WAN issue

Barca95
Initiate

Netgear Nighthawk M5 MR5200 WAN issue

Hi,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk M5 MR5200 (ip address 192.168.1.1) that is working with the IP passthrough and it is connected to the WAN port of an Asus AX11000 (ip address 192.168.2.1). I can access to both routers browser pages when the connection is working.

Everything is working but often (maybe every 1-2-3 days) happens that internet gets disconnected.

When this happens I cannot access to the Netgear Nighthawk page (192.168.1.1) but I can only access to the Asus router page (192.168.2.1) that is showing as WAN IP the address 0.0.0.0.

If I unplug the RJ45 cable from the WAN port and plug again nothing changes.

The only thing I can do is restarting the Netgear Nighthawk and all start to work again.

Is this a software bug or a bad configuration?

Thank you for your attention,

Andrea

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router, MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 1 of 91
jwijnings
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M5 MR5200 WAN issue

I only got it working with my Asus router (RT-AX92U) without 'IP passthrough'... And with working I mean 'the connection was working' (during that setting the admin interface is only accessible when I connect to the Nighthawk's own wifi). 

Message 2 of 91
W1lliam
Virtuoso

You probably can check if MR5200's Ethernet Timeout is not disabled.

Message 3 of 91
Barca95
Initiate

Hi, Ethernet Timeout is disabled.

In the last 10 days this issue happened only one time (so I had to restart the modem only one time).

Message 4 of 91
hangiemo
Star

Did you find a solution to this? I’ve also found this with my brand new M5. Disappointed
Message 5 of 91
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Could you please describe your setup and how often you see the issue happening?

Thanks

Message 6 of 91
hangiemo
Star

Hi,

Running M5 (Telstra Australia) with passthrough Ethernet to a Ubiquiti USG3 as my central router. 2 external antennas connected to the M5. There is a UniFi based network for the internal connections.

In the first week of operation I’ve had full loss of internet at least 3 times. Each time I’ve noticed the IP address on the router is 0.0.0.0. I’ve tried renewing the address as well as unplugging and rebooting the USG. Nothing helped there. The M5 shows everything is ok, but doesn’t provide an address.

Each time a reboot of the M5 fixed the issue.

The rest of my network has been running fine before introducing the M5.

Happy to supply more if you have specific info you need.

Cheers,
Mark.
Message 7 of 91
jwijnings
Aspirant

I repeat myself: I only got it working with my Asus router (RT-AX92U) without 'IP passthrough'... And with working I mean 'the connection was working' (during that setting the admin interface is only accessible when I connect directly to the Nighthawk's own wifi).
Message 8 of 91
jwim1
Aspirant

Hi Mark, did you have any success getting IP Passthrough going with your Telstra M5? I've just received mine and can't get it going. I've got a very similar setup to yours - i.e. Telstra M5 to a USG3. I've enabled IP Passthrough but no joy.

Cheers

Jason

Message 9 of 91
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you for everyone's report. we will investigate and provide the feedback soon.

Regards

John

Message 10 of 91
hangiemo
Star

No luck with passthrough. I had to switch to router mode to get it working.
Message 11 of 91
dnos80
Initiate

I have the same setup and issues as hangiemo

I have line of sight to the local Telstra tower and get very very good signal quality and fast speeds when connected.

Unfortunately the internet drops out quite frequently.  

My symptom is the same as the others, internet connectivity drops, I log on to the router and see that the conenction is still active (ie it's been connected for hours) however there is no WAN IP address.  I have to reboot the router for it get a WAN IP and therefore provide internet connectivity once more. 

Very disapointing for such an expensive device. 

Message 12 of 91
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dnos80

Please check your inbox. I have sent you a message requesting for more information. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 91
salwoo
Guide

Hi Netgear, 

I also got the same problem, the internet will drop randomly, and need to reboot the M5 to resume the internet connection. 

Regards, 

Fred

Message 14 of 91
halo79
Aspirant

Same issue here, M5 keeps disconnecting 

Message 15 of 91
dnos80
Initiate

It would be really good if Netgear could release a firmware update which allowed us to firstly see the log files and secondly have a syslog server capability.  We're flying blind with this device all the time and if Netgear want our help to resolve it, how can we with no access to log files or any telemtry apart from the status pages.

Message 16 of 91
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

Please confirm your setup as shown below.

Carrier Network -> M5 WWAN Connection ->  M5 Ethernet port -> WiFi router -> Clients

And also when the disconnection happens, WiFi router can't get the data from M5 Ethernet port.

Just want to rule out the disconnection happens on the WWAN side.

Thanks

John

Message 17 of 91
salwoo
Guide

Carrier Network -> M5 WWAN Connection ->  M5 Ethernet port -> WiFi router -> Clients 

In my mindset "->" are presenting a flow to find the "clients". 

I think u need the following information:

1. Carrier: 3UK 5G

2. WWAN : 0 (only use Etherent port, IP Passthrough tried both on/off the issue still happen)

3. Ethernet port: Linksys MX5300

4. Wifi Router: As above

5. Clients: 1 (only the Linksys router)

When the Internet drop, can't connect to the M5 via Linksys routor or direct acess to M5's WWAN or admin page, but still can connect to Linksys router.

M5 temperture keep arount 38-41C

M5 show the 5G signal is good even the internet is dropped.

Fred

Message 18 of 91
idck_de
Tutor

Hi. For MR5200 owners 

All of you guys encountered this mirror is using a commercial add-on plan on pSim that you put in your MR5200? 

If does, I guess it perhaps because of carriers end occupying switch IP pool or duing devices Mac address check.

I do own one of those MR5200s with multiple pSim card for variety of carriers from different brand.

For occasionally, I also put in IoT pSim in my MR5200 unit. Because one of special perks for some IoT card is server end rarely switch IP/ Mac address check. Stable resolve be solid at my part of usage.

Message 19 of 91
rayfol39
Aspirant

Is there a solution to this? My setup is the same as Mark and Jason have? Also using Telstra Australia.

Message 20 of 91
halo79
Aspirant

No solution that that I know of.

I've had to keep my old Huawei going (paying double to Telstra) because I cannot rely on the NetGear.

Very disappointing.

Message 21 of 91
salwoo
Guide

@idck_de wrote:

Hi. For MR5200 owners 

All of you guys encountered this mirror is using a commercial add-on plan on pSim that you put in your MR5200? 

If does, I guess it perhaps because of carriers end occupying switch IP pool or duing devices Mac address check.

I do own one of those MR5200s with multiple pSim card for variety of carriers from different brand.

For occasionally, I also put in IoT pSim in my MR5200 unit. Because one of special perks for some IoT card is server end rarely switch IP/ Mac address check. Stable resolve be solid at my part of usage.

I changed my sim card plan to a data only sim card 2 weeks ago, the internet drop just happen 1 time. 

I just wonder is there any problem after recovering the internet connection. I double checked when the internet connection recover, the admin page for MR5200 can't be access, I checked at the MR5200 everything seems ok, there have internet traffic itself. Seems the MR5200 in an isolate mode, no device can get a connection. And need to reboot to recover everything.

I agree with your suggestion a stable data plan will help, but seems the firmware have some problem when the internet drop and recover. 

Fred

Message 22 of 91
rayfol39
Aspirant

I'm trying to work this out with the Ubiquiti tech's at the moment. If I find out anything interesting or helpful I'll post back here.

Message 23 of 91
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Our team is looking into the issue and will make improvements on the connection stabiliy between WAN port and router client.

Regards

Message 24 of 91
W1lliam
Virtuoso

My MR5200-100EUS upgraded to NTGX55_12.04.12.00 and starting disconnected WWAN even WLAN still alive, clients associated with M5 has no way out to Internet unless rebooting M5, this issue is gone after restore to factory default for the M5 after upgraded.
Message 25 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7