× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk M5 MR5200 WAN issue

brook724
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M5 MR5200 WAN issue

It’s been over a year and passthrough still doesn’t function properly? Where is the fix?
Message 76 of 91
fredrik_
Aspirant

@Blanca_O @JohnPeng any updates here? Experiencing the same issue, WAN port stops functioning after a few days.

Message 77 of 91
pistachio
Tutor

well it is much much more stable using the USB connection ... something is wrong with the ethernet port. (tried playing with the ethernet auto-off feature disable or not .. same issues)

Message 78 of 91
TobyJones
Initiate

Hi John

Is there any progress with this?

Thanks,

Toby

Message 79 of 91
fredrik_
Aspirant

One thing I did as a workaround instead of using it as a "WAN passthrough" – I use it as a regular network connection but give the connected router DMZ access. Doing this kind of gives me the functionality I need, without dropping the connection every other day.

Message 80 of 91
jpparkerjr
Aspirant

Could you give a dummy a little more info on how to setup like you got it. I can not make it stable on pass through have to reboot all the time 2 problems one it will let lease expire and the ip goes to zero. then the other is speed goes to crap and have to reboot. I got it to work ok by putting M5 in router mode and putting a tplink extender near by. The range on 5Gwifi sucks 18 feet away one wall and it barely has any 5gwifi. it is really slow in router mode connected to an extender like 50M. In pass through when working and connected to my asus router I get 200-250 but then it will just not move data even though speed test is good that’s why I was curious about your set up 5G cellular not on yet where I am
Message 81 of 91
deep83
Initiate

I'm having a similar issue.

IP Passthrough on.

DHCP left on.

Ethernet standby off.

Connected to a TP-Link ER605 via WAN.

Goes offline every few hours and reports IP address as 0.0.0.0.

In response to a previous post, I don't think purchasing a smart plug, to power cycle the device, or a subscription to Netgears cloud management are reasonable - this function should work.

Can you give us a timeline for a fix?  Or should I return these for a refund (not working as expected / faulty)?

Message 82 of 91
jpparkerjr
Aspirant

I used my m1 in pass through with no issues but lightning fixed it not in a good way like I said I have been able to establish decent connections by turning off pass through and using an extender because it has got to have the worst range of any wireless device I have ever seen. If you are not in the same room with it it drops out
Message 83 of 91
pistachio
Tutor

Amazing that there is no progress on this. Tech support has conversation with me foe months’ made some tests with them … but still not working at all…my m5 can’t be used nor returned. Perhaps I should get a M2, but not sure it is better

Message 84 of 91
jpparkerjr
Aspirant

I’m using it in not pass through I’m using it as hot spot with an extender on att it still has issues it will show speed tests that are great and try and stream and it pauses it could be att I have old unlimited hot spot plan but there’s no way there’s network congestion I live right by tower and there’s not many people on att in a 5 mile radius I’m looking for a m1 it worked good until lightning got it just hate to pay 250 for such an old device if I can find one at a decent price just gone sell m5 on eBay
Message 85 of 91
Joogzee
Aspirant

Not to hijack the post, but I'm just looking for some clarity while setting up my new home network and would appreciate some feedback.

Currently I'm utilizing a Nighthawk M5 (Telstra) > Cisco IE 3000 switch.  I am using the Nighhawk as my WiFi router as we were living in a very small apartment, and utilising the switch for ethernet connections.

That has changed now as we have moved into a much larger house.  I'm looking to update the switch and add a few AP's, however I am greatly interested in adding an external router and using the IP Passthrough of the Nighthawk.  After reading this thread, I can see how much of an issue I'm about to have.

My question is, what are the main advantages of using another router?  Why do you not just use the Nighthawk M5?  I don't think I need a VPN or anything else fancy.  I do realise there are a few restrictions with the Nighhawk, like limited Port Forwarding ability.

Thanks in advance.

Message 86 of 91
salwoo
Guide

Just find that the admin create a new post on 2021-12-08 to consolidate the issues, seems the representative(s) don't inform the customers in this post. Could we assume the issues in this post are fully noted and Netgear working on the solution?

Hi Guy, if you still facing the problem(s) with your M5, please leave your message at the following links.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cell-Service-Mobile-Hotspot/Nighthawk-MR5200-M5-We-need-your-feedba...

Message 87 of 91
jpparkerjr
Aspirant

Ok the other post linked says it’s closed also when you click on solution you just get a problem post not a solution. the wan pass through is still an issue not as bad as once was but still requires daily reboot because all the isp ip addresses go to zeros and will not populate without reboot to hotspot i never reboot router. It’s very unstable unless you sit right beside it for WiFi 5GHZ extender does help but nothing like pass through when it works my router covers my home with 5GHZ and have no connection issues. just trying to use hotspot by itself sucks speeds are much slower and even with extender in some rooms I have to use 2.5GHZ which is much slower like 25meg vs 220meg on SpeedTest if you are on att Watch SpeedTest.net it will show good when fast.com and Google show slow. Though that seems to have been corrected as of late. Not to mention even though att shows 5g in my area there is none
Message 88 of 91
salwoo
Guide

OH sorry, I just find this post today. I haven't checked it was closed. 

I just wonder why @JohnPeng doesn't give any update on our issue. And also doesn't inform us the new post was created to consolidate the issue. 

Message 89 of 91
jpparkerjr
Aspirant

Best I can tell they have dropped the ball it’s liveable rebooting once a day but I don’t expect a lot of movement just not enough people complaining probably most just use as hot spot but it suck compared to the m1 I had it would go days sometimes weeks before reboot
Message 90 of 91
Eddie_Johansen
Initiate

I have solved the Ubiquiti problem if someone is interested.

At the moment I run the Netgear M5 MR5200 without any problems togehter with my Ubiquiti Switch and 4 Ubiquiti UniFi AP-PRO

I was talking with the support for several weeks but I foundt he solution myself after testing some things in the router setup. So heres the solution:

1. SETTINGS --> Mobile Router Setup (IP PASSTHROUGH = OFF) (ETHERNET STANDBY = Disable)

2. SETTINGS --> Always-on WiFi = Disable (No Enable)

3. SETTINGS --> Data Offloading = Disable (No Enable)

This worked out fine for me.

I think the problem was Data Offloading because when it´s enabled it´s trying to get data via the ethernet istead of sending data from the router from the Celluar network.

This is because the Data Offloading is trying to get internet from an extern source so it can save Data from the SIM CARD.

I hope this works out for you too!

Cheers!

Message 91 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7