× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 drops in and out even after adding a 7dBi Gain antennae

robyn2117
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 drops in and out even after adding a 7dBi Gain antennae

I live 48km from Perth at Serpentine on the coast side of the Darling Ranges.. My ADSL2  connection deteriorated over the past 5 years and drifted between 0.4mbps and 1.6mbps despite numerous visits from Telstra who grumbled it was poor connectors at each node  and that I lived 4 km from the exchange. As I had no problems with my Telstra mobile phone connection on my i phone 8 (although it was only 2 bars)  I would give mobile broadband a go with Telstra. My Nighthawk MR1100 router arrived on 28 December and is performing even worse drifting in and out of connection. I did an Ookla speed test and it sits around 0.4mbps...worse than my ADSL. I have had the router checked by Telstra at a Telstra shop and nothing wrong with it....was reading 38mbps. They suggested  I purchase an antennae from JCar.  I have attached a $69 Digitech 7dBi Gain 3G &4G antennae and initially it registered 28mbps but  an hour later and it is down to 0.1mbps. Has anyone got any suggestions as we can't even do home banking and I am trying to run a business from home.Could someone also advise me how I can do a speed test through Netgear? 

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 drops in and out even after adding a 7dBi Gain antennae

Hi @robyn2117

Please check the signal quality using the Diagnostic screen found under Settings > Nighthawk M1 Status > Diagnostics. 

RSRP : typical range is around -44dbm (good) to -140dbm(bad).
RSRQ : typical range is -19.5dB(bad) to -3dB (good).

You can also move the device to a location/area with clear view of the sky. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 drops in and out even after adding a 7dBi Gain antennae

Hi @robyn2117

Please check the signal quality using the Diagnostic screen found under Settings > Nighthawk M1 Status > Diagnostics. 

RSRP : typical range is around -44dbm (good) to -140dbm(bad).
RSRQ : typical range is -19.5dB(bad) to -3dB (good).

You can also move the device to a location/area with clear view of the sky. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7