× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro - Drops Internet After 1-2 hours

Kringle
Tutor

Nighthawk M6 Pro - Drops Internet After 1-2 hours

I just setup a new M6 Pro on AT&T with 5G.  I have full bars and very fast service so it’s not signal or carrier issues. I’ve done line refreshes and run AT&T’s tests and all come back saying everything works on their end.

The M6 says it’s connected to the internet, but it’s not - it shows it in the network map as connected and the device appears to be operating normally according to status and moving through the settings, yet no devices can get on the internet.

Now for troubleshooting I did the following:

1. I moved to entirely different cell tower location with 5 bars 5G, still disconnects
  2. I Factory Reset, removed SIM, reset again. Making sure it’s current, did firmware check and I’m on the latest. Still disconnects from internet.
  3. I disabled both ethernet & wifi sleep functions (set to sleep never) and made the power settings max so there’s no slow down. Still disconnects from Internet.
  4. I connected a laptop to Ethernet, still disconnects
  5. I connected a laptop to USB, still disconnects
  6. I connected a EX-20 Extender via ethernet, devices connected wirelessly to the extender get disconnected and the EX-20 reports offline
  7. I brought the M6 to my house and did wifi off boarding, and it still disconnects.  It shows in the network make that it’s connected via off boarding, yet no data is passing through the M6 and all connected devices report offline.
  8. I tried ethernet off boarding to my ORBI RBR850, still disconnects.
  9. If I connect a device after a few hours when it’s has disconnected from the internet, the new device cannot access internet, so the M6 is still disconnected even though it let me join a new device via wifi

There is clearly something wrong with the firmware that’s causing internet to SHOW connected, but no devices can reach the internet. In Network Map on the mobile app or on the M6 screen it shows everything is working just fine.

If I reboot the M6 (from the app) it comes back, connects and works for 1-2 hours, then disconnects. If I change a setting that requires the wifi to recycle then when it comes back it’s working for a brief period of time.

This device is going in a remote location and I need to it be reliable.  Has anyone had any luck keeping this thing running for more than a few hours?  I am about to return it and go in a different direction because it’s simply not reliable.

When it is connected it works perfectly, speeds are screaming fast, connection is stable and ping and diagnostics are all excellent.

Message 1 of 80
BeachsideCA
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro - Drops Internet After 1-2 hours

Any updates on this?  I'm seeing the same thing and it is super annoying.  

Message 2 of 80
Mambam
Aspirant

I have a remote location where I use the M6 Pro for a static internet access. 4 bars off att tower and internet drops randomly… 

Message 3 of 80
Ptgunder
Aspirant

I am having a similar internet random dropping issue. I get 4 bars and good speeds but it randomly disconnects. Is there a fix? I am in my 14 day trial and this is going back if I can’t resolve.
Message 4 of 80
Ruggerjason54
Aspirant

I have similar issue. Can someone let us know if this is being looked into at least? Great product except the fact I need to reboot all the time!!
Message 5 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Kringle wrote:

I just setup a new M6 Pro on AT&T with 5G.  I have full bars and very fast service so it’s not signal or carrier issues. I’ve done line refreshes and run AT&T’s tests and all come back saying everything works on their end.

The M6 says it’s connected to the internet, but it’s not - it shows it in the network map as connected and the device appears to be operating normally according to status and moving through the settings, yet no devices can get on the internet.

Now for troubleshooting I did the following:

1. I moved to entirely different cell tower location with 5 bars 5G, still disconnects
  2. I Factory Reset, removed SIM, reset again. Making sure it’s current, did firmware check and I’m on the latest. Still disconnects from internet.
  3. I disabled both ethernet & wifi sleep functions (set to sleep never) and made the power settings max so there’s no slow down. Still disconnects from Internet.
  4. I connected a laptop to Ethernet, still disconnects
  5. I connected a laptop to USB, still disconnects
  6. I connected a EX-20 Extender via ethernet, devices connected wirelessly to the extender get disconnected and the EX-20 reports offline
  7. I brought the M6 to my house and did wifi off boarding, and it still disconnects.  It shows in the network make that it’s connected via off boarding, yet no data is passing through the M6 and all connected devices report offline.
  8. I tried ethernet off boarding to my ORBI RBR850, still disconnects.
  9. If I connect a device after a few hours when it’s has disconnected from the internet, the new device cannot access internet, so the M6 is still disconnected even though it let me join a new device via wifi

There is clearly something wrong with the firmware that’s causing internet to SHOW connected, but no devices can reach the internet. In Network Map on the mobile app or on the M6 screen it shows everything is working just fine.

If I reboot the M6 (from the app) it comes back, connects and works for 1-2 hours, then disconnects. If I change a setting that requires the wifi to recycle then when it comes back it’s working for a brief period of time.

This device is going in a remote location and I need to it be reliable.  Has anyone had any luck keeping this thing running for more than a few hours?  I am about to return it and go in a different direction because it’s simply not reliable.

When it is connected it works perfectly, speeds are screaming fast, connection is stable and ping and diagnostics are all excellent.

When the issue happens, could you please try to PING a know IP address to check whether it is working. 

Please also help to capture a model.json file to confirm the WWAN side connection is still up running. Please send the log using PM.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Please also advise the FW version on your device.

Thanks

John

Message 6 of 80
Cohenhouse
Tutor

I am experiencing the EXACT same issue with the EXACT same device. Was there ever any resolution to this?

Device reads that it is connected with 3 bars of 5g, but every device says cannot connect to the internet, or have a download speed of .5mb. I restart the device and I'm back to 20mb download for a few hours. Then suddenly back to .5mb. I have to restart it 5 times a day.

Message 7 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Cohenhouse wrote:

I am experiencing the EXACT same issue with the EXACT same device. Was there ever any resolution to this?

Device reads that it is connected with 3 bars of 5g, but every device says cannot connect to the internet, or have a download speed of .5mb. I restart the device and I'm back to 20mb download for a few hours. Then suddenly back to .5mb. I have to restart it 5 times a day.

If you are AT&T customer with AT&T branded device, please upgrade to the latest release and let me know if you still see the issue.

Thanks

Message 8 of 80
Cohenhouse
Tutor

I am an ATT Business customer and yes ATT branded device, all purchased through ATT directly. I have tried to perform a update and it states there is no update available. 

Message 9 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Cohenhouse wrote:

I am an ATT Business customer and yes ATT branded device, all purchased through ATT directly. I have tried to perform a update and it states there is no update available. 

The latest update posted by AT&T is

FW: 10.04.22.00;

PRI 01.20

It may take a while for the update to reach all devices if yours has been updated.

Thanks

Message 10 of 80
Cohenhouse
Tutor

Thank you for your help. The devices that are either dropping connection or running very slow are not ATT devices. My phone is Verizon. There is a TV that sometimes says "no connection" when there are three bars. Speed test on my laptop during these times says 0.3 - 0.8 mb down, and 8mb up So I know there is a connection because of the up. I reset the device and voila I'm back to 20mb down. So the question is what would that have to do with other devices? I experience it across multiple devices at once that are all updated. 

Message 11 of 80
JohnFrampton
Aspirant

@JohnPeng I am experiencing this same issue. May I send you the json report?

Message 12 of 80
sjbender
Guide

My device was working flawless on the ATT Firstnet network, however at 4G based on the service available at the location. After the firmware update, I now have the same issues as above. When it is working the speeds are faster and then just stop working after a few hours. Reboot the device and it works again for a few hours and stops.

Another issue, if I reboot the device through the web app or webpage, it just turns off. It will not turn back on after a software reboot.

NTGX65_10.04.22.00

Message 13 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JohnFrampton wrote:

@JohnPeng I am experiencing this same issue. May I send you the json report?

Yes. Please send the model.json file to me by PM.

Thanks

Message 14 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@sjbender wrote:

My device was working flawless on the ATT Firstnet network, however at 4G based on the service available at the location. After the firmware update, I now have the same issues as above. When it is working the speeds are faster and then just stop working after a few hours. Reboot the device and it works again for a few hours and stops.

Another issue, if I reboot the device through the web app or webpage, it just turns off. It will not turn back on after a software reboot.

NTGX65_10.04.22.00

Please provide the model.json file to me by PM. We will investigate the reboot issue with WebUI.

Thanks

Message 15 of 80
bassmus
Aspirant

We have this same problem.  Is there a resolution to this problem?

Message 16 of 80
JohnFrampton
Aspirant

Sadly it seems this product has a few bugs that need to be fixed! @JohnPeng any solutions to these issues? my unit won't allow me to run without a battery,

Message 17 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JohnFrampton wrote:

Sadly it seems this product has a few bugs that need to be fixed! @JohnPeng any solutions to these issues? my unit won't allow me to run without a battery,

Could you please let me know your phone number? I can give you a call tomorrow to discuss the details.

Have you had your device replaced before? If not, I can send your a replacement and you can ship yours with all the accessories back to me for further checking.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

John

Message 18 of 80
igorjrr
Guide

Netgear M6 is an unfinished product put on the market in a rush, for a premium price. You, I and all other customers are actually testers.

I would advise returning it if it's possible, as defective. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but you wasted your money buying a Netgear M6.

Message 19 of 80
C2CF
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro - Drops Internet after 1 minute or less

@JohnPeng I noticed you were able to help others on this issue. I just got mine and it shows connected but I can't browse on the internet longer than a few seconds. The Firmware version is NTGX65_10.01.31.01 and reads "Current software is up to date". I was unable to find the software section in the mobile app to try to check for updates that way as well.

Message 20 of 80
JohnFrampton
Aspirant

After discussion with Netgear we were able to determine that the AC power mode not working was due to the cable and power supply we are using. We had switched to a USB C to USB C cable and an Anker IQ power supply. There seems to be an issue with the Anker powers supply and the M6 pro. We also tried using a Samsung USB A to USB C cable and a Samsung power supply, which gave us better results but still didn't work correctly. The M6 should only be used with the supplied cable and power supply. All power supplies are not created equal!

Message 21 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@C2CF wrote:

@JohnPeng I noticed you were able to help others on this issue. I just got mine and it shows connected but I can't browse on the internet longer than a few seconds. The Firmware version is NTGX65_10.01.31.01 and reads "Current software is up to date". I was unable to find the software section in the mobile app to try to check for updates that way as well.

Could you please let me know the SKU of your device? Are you using AT&T MR6500?

Please help to capture a model.json file and send PM to me.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

John

Message 22 of 80
sjbender
Guide

@JohnPeng , my hotspot is telling me there is an update to the firmware currently. I will not be near the unit for several weeks, so I fear to update it until I am local to the unit. It has been running well as long as there is not a large demand on the device. I actually have installed a Netgear wireless router that handles all the network request and passes it to the hotspot through a direct connection. This has seemed to keep the unit more stable.

I am currently at version NTGX65_10.04.22.00, do you know if ATT/Firstnet pushed out new firmware and if so, is there a change log?

Message 23 of 80
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@sjbender wrote:

@JohnPeng , my hotspot is telling me there is an update to the firmware currently. I will not be near the unit for several weeks, so I fear to update it until I am local to the unit. It has been running well as long as there is not a large demand on the device. I actually have installed a Netgear wireless router that handles all the network request and passes it to the hotspot through a direct connection. This has seemed to keep the unit more stable.

I am currently at version NTGX65_10.04.22.00, do you know if ATT/Firstnet pushed out new firmware and if so, is there a change log?

Since you are on NTGX65_10.04.22.00, you don't need to upgrade to the latest release. That release was specially for AT&T VPN customers using IPv6 connection.

Thanks

John

Message 24 of 80
Creapy8x
Initiate

I am unfortunately having the same connectivity issues with my m6 pro constantly dropping Mobile broadband connection or freezing up an shutting itself off!
The current version of firmware it’s running is NTGX65_10.01.47.00. And the PRI Version is 01.12 with a hardware version of 1.0
I upgraded to this from the nighthawk m1 I had hoping this m6 would be a bit better and fast but I’ve had nothing but problems with this damn thing since I got it! It sucks that I cant get any better kind of internet other than a mobile hotspot

Message 25 of 80
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7