× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 won't run without battery when tethered to computer

Jedis
Initiate

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 won't run without battery when tethered to computer

Hello,

I recently purchased the Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 hotspot. Unlike the MR5200 and MR6500, it does not seem to want to power on without the battery connected when tethered to a PC.

I checked all of the settings in all three hotspots and they are identical. The USB port is set to charging and tethering. The same exact PC and USB-C port on my PC works for the MR5200 and the MR6500, but will not work for the MR6400.

Is there a way to bypass this? I have checked the power settings of the device and they appear to be identical. I am purposefully not installing the battery except for when I will be traveling with the device.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 26
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 won't run without battery when tethered to computer

Hi Jedis, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Please provide the MR5200, MR6500 and MR6400 SKU (e.g. MR6500-1A1NAS).

Where did you purchase the device? 

Kindly provide the current firmware version and PRI. 

Can you please let us know which option is selected for the Power Manager Settings? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 26
peemun
Tutor

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 won't run without battery when tethered to computer

Hi

Can someone assist, I am getting frustrated and purchased this Nighthawk M6 Pro with the below details today on 25 November 2022 here in Melbourne Australia at Telstra shop.

I checked all of the settings in all three hotspots and they are identical. The USB port is set to charging and tethering. However, it does not seem to want to power on without the battery connected when tethered to a PC. I am using the same cable it came with the device to connect to my desktop.

Every time I remove the battery while the cable is connected to the desktop and the device, a picture pop up on the device screen showing (attached picture) the cable can only connect to the device adaptor for AC, and it cannot connect to the PC. But as soon as I install the battery, the device connects to the PC with the same cable.

I don’t wish to install the battery while working at home and want to except for when I will be travelling with the device.

Please provide a solution to this. I believe for such an expensive wireless modem paid $645 (AUD), I would have expected lot more quality and better functionality of Nighthawk M6 Pro.

• MR6500 and SKU (MR6500-1TLAUS_05.00.35.00).
  • Purchased at Telstra shop today on 25 November 2022
  • Firmware version: NTGX65_10.01.38.00
  • PRI version: 01.19
  • Chose both option on the Power Manager Settings, but still the device wouldn’t work without the battery

Thanks

Paul

Message 3 of 26
tazmadman
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 won't run without battery when tethered to computer

I have the same issue, it wont bootup without the battery and in the menu (ac only mode) is greyed out and i cannot change it

Message 4 of 26
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Jedis wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased the Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 hotspot. Unlike the MR5200 and MR6500, it does not seem to want to power on without the battery connected when tethered to a PC.

I checked all of the settings in all three hotspots and they are identical. The USB port is set to charging and tethering. The same exact PC and USB-C port on my PC works for the MR5200 and the MR6500, but will not work for the MR6400.

Is there a way to bypass this? I have checked the power settings of the device and they appear to be identical. I am purposefully not installing the battery except for when I will be traveling with the device.

Thanks!

This is by design. The laptop USB port can't provide enough power to M6 any more. User has to use battery when tethering the device to USB port.

Thanks

Message 5 of 26
KRSmarterBuild
Aspirant

Greetings,

I have the same issue. If I remove the battery then the router will not boot.

My M6-Pro is from AT&T and running firmware NTGX65_10.04.22.01

Modem Version is - MPSS.DE.1.0-02593-OLYMPIC_GENALL_PACK-1

There is a setting under General>Power Mode for AC-Powered Only (No Battery) but it cannot be selected.

What do I do if I plan on my hotspot being a permanent installation? It seems the battery will burn up over time and need replacement due to the constant power.

Please advise!!!

#M6Pro 

Message 6 of 26
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

To use AC mode, you need to use the device without battery and power the device with the PA and USB cable shipping with the device.

Computer USB port can't provide enough power to the device when it is operated without battery.

If you see the device can't powered up without battery with the PA and USB cable, please let me check. I will work with you to debug it.

Thanks

Message 7 of 26
peemun
Tutor

HI there

NETGEAR is hopeless in providing the service after sales despite being under warranty. They do play the delay and ignorance game for the warranty period to ends, and they never help after that (I don't believe any explanation they provide, since they were not helping and ignored their own product). I my case, pissed poor customer service at netgear (well several of them actually), not only did not provide the needed help, but at the end they said I need to return the product to the bloody telstra shop where I purchased it here in Victoria australia. The shop didn't accept the return, and I was forced to make a complaint against the shop and finally the complaint section of Telstra the kind lady was so upset about all these that I had to go through and refund my money. I suggest get it refund immediately since you are under warranty (well, I hope you are) and get something else. I do NOT Recommend NETGEAR product to anyone, and anywhere I go, I'll make it known.

Message 8 of 26
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@peemun wrote:

HI there

NETGEAR is hopeless in providing the service after sales despite being under warranty. They do play the delay and ignorance game for the warranty period to ends, and they never help after that (I don't believe any explanation they provide, since they were not helping and ignored their own product). I my case, pissed poor customer service at netgear (well several of them actually), not only did not provide the needed help, but at the end they said I need to return the product to the bloody telstra shop where I purchased it here in Victoria australia. The shop didn't accept the return, and I was forced to make a complaint against the shop and finally the complaint section of Telstra the kind lady was so upset about all these that I had to go through and refund my money. I suggest get it refund immediately since you are under warranty (well, I hope you are) and get something else. I do NOT Recommend NETGEAR product to anyone, and anywhere I go, I'll make it known.

Since this is Telstra M6, you should contact Telstra for the warranty related request. I think Telstra also allow no fault return.

Thanks

Message 9 of 26
peemun
Tutor

You are wrong in making an incorrect assumption, and please don't reply for the sack of replying, you did not provide help at first place and this shift of responsibility is a total unacceptable excuse. Netgear has proven multiple time that you do not have a customer service and do not provide service after sales, all you care is sale and the profit. 

Message 10 of 26
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@peemun wrote:

You are wrong in making an incorrect assumption, and please don't reply for the sack of replying, you did not provide help at first place and this shift of responsibility is a total unacceptable excuse. Netgear has proven multiple time that you do not have a customer service and do not provide service after sales, all you care is sale and the profit. 

I understand your frustration. Did you read my comments to others? Computer USB port can't provide the enough power to operate the device in no battery operation. This is by design.

Thanks

John

Message 11 of 26
peemun
Tutor

please don't blame me for your shortcoming, I did read your comments and NO still didn't work. I went and purchased a USB hub with its own dedicated power source and very expensive, but still didn't work. So to cut all this BSs I am receiving from you guys pretending to be helping... on the product manual it clearly says that you can operate the modem without battery on its own, there is no single hint or direction that the computer usb won't power enough the modem without the battery, and now you are telling me its by design you need a dedicated power source for the USB of the modem. so all in all YES by default the product is misleading and deceptive in advertising NOT telling customer on the manual about the faulty design... GOT IT?????

Message 12 of 26
igorjrr
Guide

M6 is an unfinished product that is being sold at premium price. You, and I, were fooled by Netgear. We wasted our money.
Message 13 of 26
IHaveAHotspot
Initiate

So if a USB port can't supply adequate power, how is it that when plugged into that same port WITH the battery, it's able to charge the battery and also allow use for the hotspot?  How do the numbers add up there?  If a USB port can supply enough juice to charge the battery while the device is running, I can't see a logical way that there'd need to be a requirement for the battery if the USB port can supply enough power to charge the battery and allow it to run at the same time.

Message 14 of 26
kym33
Aspirant

The problem seems to be in the way theyre explaining the procedure to set up without battery. Get the unit working normally WITH battery. Plug in the USB and connect to the power supply that came with the unit, its high power especially for this unit. Take the battery out while its running and it will switch to Plug In Power Only and all you have to do is OK the change. It is now set to Power cord use only...

Message 15 of 26
IHaveAHotspot
Initiate

@kym33 Now disconnect the cable.  Plug it into your computer.  Back to "you must plug into our adapter because we withheld information (I.E. lied) in the tech specs about what operating without a battery means.  Maybe the MR6550 is different, but removing the battery flashes "power mode change, restarting" and there's no OK to hit.  And the "high power" thing sounds like BS since like I said, the connection that supposedly doesn't supply enough power to operate without the battery somehow can supply enough power to charge the battery and operate it.  I'm not an electronics/electrical engineer so maybe there's a legit reason, but the idea that being plugged into a computer or other adapter provides enough power to charge the battery and operate it somehow can't provide enough power to just operate it seems improbable.  How does that work?

Message 16 of 26
camperhawk
Aspirant

The power adapter is the last dirt!!!

I had to press with two fingers the USB-A to power adapter so that a good contact get it.

I've got otherwise loose contact!

Realy weak!!!

Message 17 of 26
peatop
Aspirant

I bought the nighthawk m6 after reading recommendations from several sources, as I'm a fulltime traveller in Australia I was just using my mobile and tethering for the last few years, I bought the nighthawk m6 through Telstra pfft, I should have known better! Since my last update to the nighthawk it will not run without the battery inserted 😡 now I'm asking should I throw it in the bin and ask for a refund? I have now gone back to 99% tethering from my phone and could have saved $30 a month on Telstra charges...... Nighthawk...... Nightmare......
Message 18 of 26
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

To use M6 tethering with your laptop, you have to use the battery since the laptop USB port can't provide enough power to use the device without battery. That is why we limit the user to use the device in such way by displaying a image to indicate using PA when no battery is used.

Thanks

John

Message 19 of 26
arupf
Aspirant

Hi John,

I have the same issue…
The device won’t power on without battery, also not if it’s connected to n USB phone charger (5V 2,5 A).
(I’m in an RV, and don’t have a wall power socket.)

What are the requirements for the USB power supply to use the M6 without battery?

(with battery the device always overheating, and make resets… so I can’t use it with battery in a stable way)

Thanks and regards,
Adam
Message 20 of 26
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@arupf wrote:
Hi John,

I have the same issue…
The device won’t power on without battery, also not if it’s connected to n USB phone charger (5V 2,5 A).
(I’m in an RV, and don’t have a wall power socket.)

What are the requirements for the USB power supply to use the M6 without battery?

(with battery the device always overheating, and make resets… so I can’t use it with battery in a stable way)

Thanks and regards,
Adam

For no battery operation, please use the PA shipped with the device. If you don't have it, you can find the PA with QC2.0 or QC3.0 support.

You can get a similar invertor in your RV to provide the AC power in order to charge the device.

https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Charger-Adapter-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0C2CMFMYK/ref=sr_1_14_sspa?cri...

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks

John

Message 21 of 26
arupf
Aspirant

Hi John,

Yes. With a QC2.0 charger (tried 3 different, one is okay) it works in “no battery mode” (if nothing else is connected to it).

And the router seems to running more cool (and so more stable).

It’s a bummer, that you can’t use it with battery (in hot environment).
It’s a portable router…
Message 22 of 26
Poizon83
Aspirant

Hello John,
I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk M6 for use in my car as I do alot of disabilty support onsite and in the community were Wifi is needed. I was told by Optus that I can run it on 12v in my car with a 3A fuse as it is with in its specs. It now wont power up unless connected to 240v mains power, is there a way to power the router off 12v without a power inverter? I dont have the battery installed due to not wanting to butn the battery out.
And help would be appreciated as it is very frustrating.
Regards.
Poizon83.
Message 23 of 26
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Poizon83 wrote:
Hello John,
I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk M6 for use in my car as I do alot of disabilty support onsite and in the community were Wifi is needed. I was told by Optus that I can run it on 12v in my car with a 3A fuse as it is with in its specs. It now wont power up unless connected to 240v mains power, is there a way to power the router off 12v without a power inverter? I dont have the battery installed due to not wanting to butn the battery out.
And help would be appreciated as it is very frustrating.
Regards.
Poizon83.

For your use case, please use battery with the device. NBO is only working when powering on the device with PA shipped with the device.

Thanks

Message 24 of 26
Alex_Becon
Aspirant

It's understandable that you want to use your Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 without the battery while tethered to your PC. While this isn't the typical functioning mode for the device, there are a few things you can try:

Option 1: Enable "Power Cord Use Only" Mode:

Power on the M6 Pro MR6400 with the battery inserted.

Connect the device to your PC using the USB-C cable.

Wait for the device to fully boot up and connect to the internet.

Open the Nighthawk Mobile app or access the web interface at http://192.168.1.1

Navigate to "Advanced Settings" > "System" > "Power Settings."

Look for the option called "Power Source" or "Power Mode."

If available, select "Power Cord Use Only" or a similar option that prioritizes external power.

Verify if the device stays powered on with the battery removed now.

Option 2: Try Different Power Sources:

Ensure you're using the original USB-C cable and power adapter that came with the M6 Pro MR6400.

Try connecting the device to a different USB-C port on your PC. https://reelssaver.net/

Test other power sources like a wall outlet with a high-power USB charger (5V 2.5A or higher). 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7