× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro, what Mesh routers are compatible?

Pinkertonk
Aspirant

Nighthawk M6 Pro, what Mesh routers are compatible?

I have a Nighthawk M6 Pro hotspot.  Last week I tried to connect my NetGear Nighthawk Mesh system only to find it was not compatible.  I ordered from Amazon the Netgear Orbi AC1200 system with the RBR10 mesh router and RBS10 satellites.  I cannot get it to work either.  I realize the  M6 Pro is relative new but I cannot find a list of compatible Mesh systems that will work with it.  Or maybe I'm just a dumbass?

Help?

Kerry

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro, what Mesh routers are compatible?

For using ethernet port on M6 when connecting a Mesh system to it, you need to enable the ethernet port first. By default, it is disabled. 

You can set the Power mode from Balanced to Performance mode to enable ethernet port.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

@Pinkertonk wrote:

I have a Nighthawk M6 Pro hotspot.  Last week I tried to connect my NetGear Nighthawk Mesh system only to find it was not compatible. 

What says that?

Have you ever got a router to work with the M6? (Is that the MR6110, MR6400 or MR6500?)

"Compatibility" should not be an issue. If you can configure the modem to work with one router, then it should be fine with any router. It is then down to the router to work with the satellites.

I ordered from Amazon the Netgear Orbi AC1200 system with the RBR10 mesh router and RBS10 satellites. 

What did you try to get this to work?

Did you look into using the Orbi in AP mode?

Message 2 of 6
Pinkertonk
Aspirant

Michael, I appreciate your response.  Regarding the Nighthawk Mesh system, I posted this thread 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Trying-to-connect-Nighthawk-Mesh-MR6... and was told it was not compatible.  This is why I ordered the Orbi setup.  

The nighthawk is the MR6400.

I followed the automatic setup instructions in the app several times.  The Orbi is connected to the hotspot MR6400 via a ethernet cable and plugged into the internet port on the Orbi.  As soon as the app turns off the hotspot wifi, it is not sending internet to the Orbi.  I can connect but it says no internet.

I don't know what AP mode is but I'll look into it.

Message 3 of 6

@Pinkertonk wrote:

I don't know what AP mode is but I'll look into it.

I see that  @FURRYe38 made the same suggestion in the answer that you linked to. (You could have a saved time by providing a more detailed account of what you have posted before.)

AP mode is designed to avoid problems that can arise when you have two routers on a network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A lot of people use an Orbi system in AP mode, especially if they have another router in front of it.

The MR6400 is a router. Pile on an Orbi and you can hit the "Double NAT" problem.

Another option would be to work out how to make the MR6400 modem only. Unfortunately, Netgear doesn't seem to provide detailed instructions that I can find for configuring your device in that way. It may not even be possible. Hence the AP suggestion.

Now that two people have suggested AP mode in two separate discussions, perhaps the time is right for you to investigate the idea before you start yet another conversation here.

Message 4 of 6
Butterkup813
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I have a M6 pro and a nighthawk router. I've tried everything and I don't think they're compatible. Or my new m6 pro is a lemon???
Message 5 of 6
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

For using ethernet port on M6 when connecting a Mesh system to it, you need to enable the ethernet port first. By default, it is disabled. 

You can set the Power mode from Balanced to Performance mode to enable ethernet port.

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7